February 10, 2008

New York F/W 08 Fashion Week Wrap Up III

Marc Jacobs
The only word that comes to mind when I saw the Marc Jacobs collection was, interesting....... I don't quite know what to make of it.
Most of the collection consisted of oversized bags of cloth that he's trying to pass off as coats (above). Ok that was a bit harsh. Admittedly, if you look closely there are some designs and thoughts put into the coats (esp the collar of the white coat: left). But in all honestly, if given the choice between spending over $1000USD on these coats or some other coats, I'd opt for something that will at least look a bit more flattering on me.
Some of the more distinctive pieces in the collection. I thought the scarf thing on the white shirt (right) is quite interesting.
And these dresses look quite demure and ladylike (which if you've been reading this blog for a while, is more my cup of tea). Though the oversized shoulder pads (right) is a big turn off, it just seems incongruous with the rest of the outfit!
The evening wear was... ok. Its not wow, but its not flat ugly or anything either. Just ok. I thought these two were the best of the bunch. Even Jacobs himself said that he "wasn't very inspired this season," - one can totally see that from this collection.

Bill Blass
I've never given the brand Bill Blass much thought, but surprisingly clicking through the pictures I found that this was one of my favourite collections from NY fashion week this season (besides Proenza Schouler, which I thought was brilliant). Turns out that this is Peter Som's debut at Blass, where he played with a "mix of luxurious opposites." And the result just gorgeous! I want it all!
I love the feminine and masculine contrast here. I especially adore the extravagant bow tie detail. It is definitely one of those little things that we can all easily emulate in street fashion to give our outfits a bit more oomph.
The mix of vibrant colors with winter greys is just brilliant. Plus, I just LOVE these purples and blues that he chose.
The dress is simple, clean cut yet feminine with the floral pattern and purple belt. In contrast, the frilly top is feminine yet the cutting is sharp and clean as well. Both outfit strikes the perfect balance.
The dresses were also divine. Simply styled and tailored, the vibrant bold colors and soft flowing materials created the perfect juxtaposition.
This purple dress is my favourite of the evening wear. I think the vibrant purple hue and the flowing skirts speaks for itself. And I thought the last silver dress was great too. She had feathers/frills coming out everywhere and yet she didn't look like a bird.

Definitely if I were to spend $1000USD and above for an item between these two collections, it will be on Bill Blass.

Image Source: Elle.com

18 Comments:

Blogger Secretista said...

I don't know what to say about Marc's either. But, it was, yes, interesting, and very airy and ethereal.

2/10/2008 2:22 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2/10/2008 2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

marc jacobs look is drapey and relaxed which isnt a bad counterpoint to the stiff structure we see in other lines. i felt the same way about philip lim. those mj grey pants just make me unwind to look at them, and the coats and dresses though large and loose would feel really comfortable and enveloping which is a craving right now

2/10/2008 2:46 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

Always eagerly awaited, accessories have not disappointed! Furiously eighties, I think it's conceptual even if MJ say it's not!Closing the week on a high note collections in New York. Can't wait the Milan and Paris shows!!

2/10/2008 3:01 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I loved the Bill Blass collection. Great blog!

2/10/2008 3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Bill Blass collection. We def. have the same tastes in clothing.

2/10/2008 3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're giving Marc Jacobs too much credit because it's Marc Jacobs. If you saw those in a store somewhere, you'd be like "That's hideous."

2/10/2008 7:33 AM  
Blogger Tia said...

i think that purple dress is gorgeous, but the outfits at the top look like telletubbies...not attractive!

2/10/2008 10:41 AM  
Blogger Geisha said...

I would probably look like a short marshmallow in the Marc Jacobs coats, but the Bill Blass collection was to die for...the last dress is gorgeous :)

2/10/2008 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Canadian Chick said...

I think Marc Jacobs line was terrible. I would definitely not call it interesting. Most of the shows I found very dull and depressing.
I liked the Bill Blass line but I also really liked the Naeem Khan line- they had color and excitement.

2/10/2008 9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always thought bill blass was more "mature." i've seen it at kohls along with gloria vanderbilt.... not the most stylish label

2/11/2008 2:47 AM  
Blogger Luna Anette said...

Ooh I love that purple dress..and I didnt really like the new Marc Jacobs line. Maybe I will, when I get used to seeing it? Haha, just think it was...special. Or something. Uh.

2/11/2008 2:28 PM  
Blogger Henna said...

Hey Ladies,

I'm tagging you with a "You make My Day Award!" I wrote about the awards today and why I'm giving you one, and you can pass this award on to bloggers that make your day!

Thanks for writing a great blog!

Henna

2/11/2008 10:33 PM  
Blogger Molly ;) said...

I must admit, there are some strange designers out there. They should really think about what we might want to wear around the streets, not if we were in a pantomime.
Great blog, keep it up. x

2/12/2008 3:16 AM  
Blogger Free said...

The photos you include are fabulous! thanks for posting!!

2/14/2008 2:48 PM  
Blogger freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,

9/25/2009 5:13 PM  
Anonymous pavers said...

Thanks for sharing these helpful and Very well explained

3/21/2013 2:15 PM  
Anonymous best seo services said...

I am so glad this internet thing works and your article really helped me. Might take you up on that home advice you.

3/24/2013 11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home