August 13, 2008

Olympic Fashion 2008

So last week, I did a prelude to the Olympic fashion this year. Now let's take a quick look at reality. Most teams weren't very exciting and the whole parade dragged, but here are a few of my highlights:
The much hyped up uniform of the US team by Ralph Lauren did not disappoint expectations. It was elegant, smart and clean cut, a very good representation of the US team.
Definitely not as bad and commercialized and humiliating as American Politics made it sound and appear (above right) like. The logos, even of the Olympics were discrete and appropriately sized. And as for the cutting, I cannot quite tell from the pictures, but they appear fine to me. Granted I wouldn't really wear this uniform out in public (being hip and fashionable obviously is not a priority), but given the occasion and how they had to design it for both sex, I thought it was really well done.
Another country I rather liked was Britain. I thought the uniform for women was much more feminine, with the navy dress, white blazer and belt, that gives it more shape. Though I must say, I think the over all look is compromised by the fact that so many of them are wearing the same thing. I know that is the idea of uniform, but... I guess that's why people don't like it when they clash clothes!
A few more examples of potentially cute looking outfits being compromised by replication: France (left) and Romania (right). The French looked simple yet chic (maybe minus the bag though...). The color of the Romanian team's outfit also looks very pretty (though I probably wouldn't wear it quite so matchy matchy). And check out those pumps!

Image Source: American Politics and Yahoo News


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the American women fare especially well in this comparison! I love England, but those dresses look frumpy! The French uniforms are sort of silly, and the Romanians are pretty but not very sporty. But they are all amazing athletes, and good sports having to wear some of these outfits with pride. ;-)

8/14/2008 1:17 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

I think the British outfits look the best. That sash is fun and I can't resist a good blazer. Those French sashes are horrific. But I love the Romanian shoes.

8/14/2008 4:45 PM  
Blogger beauty queen said...

their suit was great... esp. for the women nice work!!!

8/14/2008 7:45 PM  
Blogger Sa said...

HI, I have just found your blog, and am loving the read. I have to say the UK did ok for their outfits but Hungary were very inventive. I watched the whole two hour parade just to see what each country wore. The ethnic countries looked fab in their native dress and very individual!

8/14/2008 8:09 PM  
Blogger amor said...

Ralph Lauren's style is always sporty and tailored. It fits well for the athletes...

8/14/2008 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, the Romanian uniforms look very much like those worn by Korean Air flight attendants (not that they look bad at all)

8/14/2008 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Lizzie said...

Michael Phelps is a MACHINE. I swear to God.

8/14/2008 8:32 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I wasn't really impressed with the American uniforms. Maybe it's the blazers. Is there something in the rules that says you must wear a blazer in order to be in the parade. Still, I think Ralph Lauren did a good job. Th Americans looked very smart - especially the girls.

I really like France's uniforms. The sashes were a girly but still professional looking. The purses kind of ruined that though. Just made them look silly in my opinion.


8/15/2008 2:48 AM  
Anonymous polo said...

i loved the American uniforms, Ralph Lauren did an amazing job!

8/15/2008 2:53 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I must be one of the rare ones who think the US uniforms were blah. That polo horse was just too big. You know there's something definitely wrong when you start staring to compare the size of the logo to the size of the person (in my case Lebron James).

In other happy news, I'm sure you girls know the Barney's Warehouse Sale is in full swing. I know you don't live in NYC, but if you're in town for the next 3 weeks, you should visit!! Lots of blogs are reporting out on it (even me!)

I just adore your blog!

Mine is: -- come visit :)

8/15/2008 3:32 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

love your blog :)
just had to say
the americans look amazing
but i hope noone else around the world saw the aussies
we looked absolutely disgraceful
im going to emigrate if we dont start looking nice at olympics
like the americans
what a perfect example
tut freaking tut
i like the french, but without the bag. and concur with your sentiments re: romania


8/15/2008 9:52 PM  
Blogger Knikki said...

Good observation on the replication of the outfits. It definitely does make them seem less appealing.

8/16/2008 9:08 AM  
Blogger Tobias said...

i like the American dresses

8/16/2008 6:50 PM  
Blogger sydneydoll said...

i missed the opening ceremony.

8/17/2008 2:04 PM  
Blogger AJ's Blog said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/20/2008 9:25 PM  
Blogger AJ's Blog said...

I like your profile but i think you should write about some stuff for guy fashion like my blog (: stand for teenage blog spot

just giving you a tip, you have guy fashion i'll come heree more often.

8/20/2008 9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think AMERICA was dressed the best because it was so out there and come on it was Ralph Lauren, no one could do it better then him............. America rocksssss

8/27/2008 9:57 AM  
Blogger Check Out My Blog said...

Hi, Check my blog also -

12/04/2008 9:03 PM  
Blogger freefun0616 said...



9/25/2009 7:55 PM  
Blogger Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa

11/27/2009 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Paul said...

The guy is totally just, and there is no skepticism.
russian brides

11/08/2011 12:46 AM  
Anonymous Abram said...

Really worthwhile data, much thanks for your article.
shrimp recipes easy | Denver hospitals | vacation home rentals

11/23/2011 12:28 AM  
Anonymous Matthew said...

Here, I do not really imagine it is likely to have effect.
hotels Nashville TN | GTA real estate | Dartmouth

11/23/2011 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home