January 29, 2006

The State of Fashion Union - Harrods Girl's PoV

Barneys Girl and I decided that we cannot miss out on this week's Carnivale of Couture: The State of Fashion Union, hosted by Almost Girl and Fashion Tribes. The questions are:
What fashion means to you.
Why fashion is important (or not.)

So after a lot and a lot of thinking by us, who constrast to popular belief do have a life out of the fashion blogosphere, both Barneys Girl and I came to a similar conclusions.

So you'll hear my take first. I don't think it is possible for me to just pour my heart here over what fashion means to me because when something means something to someone, it's probably more important than just 'it means this to me.' If you've been reading this blog long enough, then you'll probably already know intuitively how much fashion means to me. On a superficial, simple level, fashion is to me: an interest, beauty, art, reflection of personality and status (the superficial realities of the world,) and of course, blogging three times a week!

On a deeper level, well, that's private and indescribable. While there is definitely a deeper meaning to fashion, of which is different to all of us, I don't like to ponder over these 'deeper meanings' and dissect them so much that they don't even mean anything anymore. And frankly, I've never been one to act overly concerned about issues and causes (things such as PETA or humanity topics.) Even more so, I detest people who pretend they care.

And yes, of course fashion is important. We all know fashion is a huge industry, with other related industries such as print media, advertising, entertainment etc. attached to it. Gosh, so many people are financially supported by it. Also a lot of people are mentally supported by it -I remember during my GCSEs, (that's a UK public exam for 16 yr old students for those who don't know,) I was motivated to study by staring at this cute bag I just bought and my dinner dance dress.

Two summers ago, my dad gave me a very significant fatherly advice: See, if you want to be wearing your Pradas and Guccis when you grow up, then you better work hard and work for a good/ big company. Because apart from the fact you will need loads of money to buy all these clothes, to wear these nice clothes, you must be working in a serious business district (like Central in Hong Kong,) and only these important companies are located there. Of couse, I've figured all this out since young, but it didn't hurt to hear it from my dad.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to have you girls in the game! Feel free to link back to Lesley and myself so we know when you are posting!

1/30/2006 3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to work hard if you want to buy all the nice things that you want in life, or you can take the route of marrying rich (haha, but that is very risky and not something everyone wants to "aim" for).

I'd like to think that I can make enough money to support myself as well as help my family. And buying nice things and travelling is all good too. That's a reason why I chose to study pharmacy (and also because I like science and I get to help people).

So I understand why you chose to do accounting (I remember you mentioning that in a previous blog entry). It's great that you're so sensible and stylish :)

- 20-year-old Torontonian

1/30/2006 6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great dad to support your dreams and show you a way to do it.

And good for you for doing it. That is so awesome and makes me proud of you in some strange way.

I think it's more that I'm proud of the fact that there are people who can and DO accomplish their dreams.

You guys do an amazing job with this blog, and if you do as amazing in your lives you have got things well covered.

1/31/2006 1:29 AM  
Blogger Harrods Girl said...

Anonymous: Haha yes, some girls like to aim to marry rich but I'm def not one of them. Pharmacy is a great subject. It was one of my choices when I was choosing subjects two yrs ago.

Pinksundrop: That's so sweet of u! Thx hun.

1/31/2006 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stylish Eve

12/13/2009 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stylish Eve offers fashion sketches, Fashion Design , home decoration ideas, interior home decorating ,home interior decorating , home decorating ideas, Home Decorating , home improvement ideas, Home Improvement for home and gardening , home gardening , how to garden , plus recipes , food recipes , healthy recipes , handmade crafts , craft ideas ,crafts to make , easy craft , family care , family health , family children, Arts , Fashion and Style , Body care and makeup , body care ,beauty makeup , makeup ideas, hand and nails care , hand care , nails care , hairstyles and hair care

12/13/2009 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

women hairstyles , haircare, home decorating , greeting cards , Oil and Watercolor Painting , watercolor paintings , portrait painting , oil painting , oil paints , Pencil and Portrait Drawings , pencil drawings , art pencil , drawing pencils , portrait drawing, Fashion and Beauty , Handmade Accessories , Appetizers and beverages recipes , appetizer recipes , beverages recipes , Desserts recipes , Main Dishes , Pastries and sandwiches recipes ,Pastries recipes , sandwiches recipes , sandwich recipes as well as painting and drawing .Bedroom Decoration Ideas , Bathroom Decorating Ideas, living room decorating ideas , Dining room decoration, Home Accessories, Home Lighting Ideas , Home Office Ideas

12/13/2009 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids Room Decor , Rug Art & Design , Storage Ideas , Wall and Ceiling Art , Kitchen Design Ideas ,sitemap.xml , Stylish Eve Sitemap , sitemap.xml.gz , home decorating ideas , Food Recipes , fashion sketches , handmade crafts , painting and drawing , improvement ideas

12/13/2009 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then you may ask that how to acquirement a hermes handbags
. It can yield three to four crocodiles to accomplish one Kelly handbag
, the abate of scales on the skin, the amount is college of the Kelly handbags
.
Clinical trials of lida daidaihua
demonstrate encouraging results of this being overweight cure drugs. You get great discounts on your box of daidaihua
, the entire details and instructions to take these effective lida slimming
is clearly mentioned on the siteļ¼Œ slimming capsule
that are easily available on the online stores. slimming capsules
are mostly safe and able but several affected and abortive articles actualize a bad name for all lida
So uk Tiffany
can be a perfect presentation of love. No matter ten years or thirty years, silver earrings
is as new as first seen. He ruled in July 2010 that eBay was not liable for trademark infringement by allowing Tiffany necklaces
to be sold on the website by individuals. silver necklaces
then appealed to the higher court.
If you are absolutely searching to buy Chanel handbag
, you'll be drooling over the advanced array of styles and colors of Chanel
. A slight aberration of the aboriginal Coco Chanel backpack is the tweed chanel watches
.

7/15/2010 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

luxury apartments wide bayinterior designing ideas
You have to work hard if you want to buy all the nice things that you want in life, or you can take the route of marrying rich (haha, but that is very risky and not something everyone wants to "aim" for).

I'd like to think that I can make enough money to support myself as well as help my family. And buying nice things and travelling is all good too. That's a reason why I chose to study pharmacy (and also because I like science and I get to help people).

So I understand why you chose to do accounting (I remember you mentioning that in a previous blog entry). It's great that you're so sensible and stylish :)

1/20/2012 8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home