January 04, 2006

Shop FW05 Sales For SS06

Shopping in sales sometimes uses up more of my brain cells than shopping at original prices. Reason for this? When I'm at sales, I inevitably think 'lalala, I'm in a happyland where beeautiful clothes and shoes are on sale,' and feel sooo cheerful just to be there surrounded by discounted racks. My brain zones into a 'must must must buy at least one thing since everything is like, totally worth it now!'-sort of mode.

Unfortunately, all the fashion-y stuff I've read and know about next season's style trends starts to dance around my brain and I start to analyse every piece of clothing I'm interested in. Questions like 'Will the whole military jacket thing still be in fashion next spring or fall?' are asked and the result is an indecisive, annoying customer staring at the jacket. And of course since I do possess quite a logical brain, I am at the same time covering all the typical pre-purchase questions like 'How often will I wear this'; 'What will this shirt match with my other clothes'; 'Do I have something similar already'; 'Can this be thrown into a washing machine?' etc.

Shopping end-of-season, fun huh? After going through many such expeditions to malls and department stores in three different countries last month, I've managed to come to a few conclusions:
  • In anticipation for SS06, chose white, white, white! Anything in luxurious-neautrals should also be seriously considered.
  • To avoid disappointment, never have your hopes up even after you pick up the perfect discounted item until after it is confirmed that a) your size is still available, and b) that item is not damaged and still looks relatively new.
  • If it doesn't fit you, then put it down! Don't make pathetic excuses like 'but I've been wanting it for ages and it's actually on sale now.' Better to spend the money on something that you will actually love and be able to wear.
  • Sale time is THE perfect time to buy closet staples like jeans. My sister managed to buy a pair of fantastic Blue Cults for only HK$1200 (US$150.)
  • Another closet staple for last year and this year still, are flats. Marc Jacobs makes some of the cutest flats. Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Yes I know they're pricy, but if you wear them almost everyday, then they'll be totally worth it.
  • If you're not familiar with the saleslady, then don't listen to her! She'll be giving you all sorts of praises even if the jacket makes you look like a puffball.
  • One of the best things being a student is that we can discount-shop on a weekday morning/ early afternoon. It's so much more comfortable shopping without the crowds in weekends and not have to look at the same rack of clothing with someone else.
  • Since next season is all about white jewelry, don't buy the leftover black jewelry (unless you really like it of course.)
  • No matter which season, there are always pretty, classical high-heels, which even if they are not particularly in fashion, are always needed for dinners and nights-out. Sales always has those. These Louboutins are great examples: Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Make sure you actually buy something before the end-of-season sales are over!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent advice... and you sum up the sale time dillema so well!

1/04/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Are You the New Avante Garde? said...

Very true. But I bought this fabulous cashmere a bit off white coat thats very very Park Ave.

great advice, i actually thought about all those when I was shopping

Ciao

1/04/2006 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello! i just wanted to say that i love visiting this blog. you seem to be really fashion savvy and its great seeing all the drool-worthy clothing and accessory photos you put up. i was just wondering if you'd be able to recommend a bag for me; I'm in the market for a small to medium white leather bag that I could tie an hermes scarf to. I like simple shapes to show off the scarf and quality of leather. I can't find a suitable one anywhere; please help!

1/04/2006 6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, love the shoes/sandals i like the fashion trend.

1/05/2006 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gR. Amsterdam is like hell with the sales.
Only found one thing that suted me till now..
I wish all the New Years turists would go away so I can shop with calm :P

1/06/2006 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked at knee high boots today, but I think I caught the tail end of the end of season sales - they only had one size left!

1/08/2006 6:36 AM  
Anonymous Godfrey said...

Quite useful info, thanks for this article.
ottawa

1/11/2012 1:01 AM  
Anonymous Leather Coats said...

nice post love reading it

10/25/2012 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home