November 10, 2006

Marie Antoinette

Oops, I was supposed to blog about the Viktor & Rolf collection for H&M the first day it hit stores, but I thought it was for tomorrow! Never mind, I was way too busy today anyways. On a positive note, I finally got around to watch Marie Antoinette and I LOVED it!

I didn't have much expectation when I went, especially for the plot. But this is possibly one of the only film I've watched that didn't have much of a storyline, but I didn't fall asleep in. Why? Because I had to keep watch of the luxuries around: the Versailles, the hair & makeup, the people, the scenaries and of course, the neverending supply of gorgeous gowns.

While it seems like Kirsten Dunst just had to act like a cheerful, ditzy Queen, there was actaully a whole lot more to it. Her fustration with her annoying husband, the pressure from everyone to conceive a boy, the need to get along with the French court, and lastly, the calmness when she faced the angry French people -Kirsten Dunst acted all these out marvelously.

In the film, Marie Antoinette had an affair with the Swedish diplomat, who was so much cuter than her husband. (He was so cute he ended up being one of the few things my friend remembered from the film!)

Kirsten Dunst looked SO much more fabulous on screen.


I felt drunk after watching the film -from all the colours and beautiful scenes. Everything looked prettier on the walk home!


For those who love the art of this film as much as I did, go to the official Marie Antoinette website to download the desktop wallpapers. They'll make your laptop look just as pretty as the film!

Everyone should have watched the film by now, what did you guys think of it?

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was Swedish not Swiss, but yes a good movie non-the less:)

11/10/2006 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirsten Dunst should not be labeled a commercial actress just because she starred in some teen movies...she has also performed very well in arty films - notable Virgin Suicides - directed by Sofia Coppola - which is why Sofia chose her to star in her new film...duh

11/10/2006 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with you completely! the story wasn't very good(and i've heard it wasn't like that at all) but for an art/fashion freak like me, the costumes/scenery/shots just make it all up! (i especially loved the dresses at her birthday and at the theater where she made everyone clap)

11/10/2006 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the movie was perfect. really loved it. the soundtrack is countinuosly repeating on my ipod. i have that movie poster - it looks sooo cool in my bedroom :)
sofia coppola is amongst my favourite directors - i think her aesthetics and sensibility are remarcable. kirsten dunst is perfect for the role, and she is not a "teen-movie" actress at all - you should whatch her work more closely before leaving suchs comments.

11/11/2006 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a great new book just out, that has gotten raves about Marie Antoinette called ABUNDANCE by Sena Jeter Naslund. ..just in case you want to learn more.

11/11/2006 5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really loved the movie and the whole "do what you want, have fun, party till the break of dawn" idea along with the whole formalness of the court. The clothes were gorgeous and so were the shoes. Did you catch the blue Converses?

11/11/2006 6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you read the Vouge issue that has Kiersten on the cover, there is a real interesting article about the real Marie Antoinette in there.

11/11/2006 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lovee Kirsten Dunst , shes great.. I haven;t watched the movie yet but I absoulutely can not wait to watch it when it gets to Australia! Wohooo

11/11/2006 12:39 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

I pretty much disliked the story, it was pretty bad. The only thing keeping me awake were the colors, clothes, and Jamie Dornan (ie the cute guy). The only real interesting part of the story was when they flashed the converse for a split second. Movie wise, Virgin Suicides was much better.

11/12/2006 2:15 AM  
Blogger MiA said...

I have to watch the film. I´m Austrian and this is part of our history. Even heard the score and it sounds fantastic.

11/12/2006 3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was disappointed. I loved Sofia Coppola's other movies. Yes, the scenery and costumes were great, but I need more than that to keep my interest for 2 hours. It felt pretty shallow.

11/12/2006 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the movie but it premieres here in Sweden on the 17th of November, so just a couple more days of waiting :P

Something I find really funny is that the movie is rated PG-13 in the US whilst it's rated G here :D

11/12/2006 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you copied another blogger

11/13/2006 12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when is it coming out in singapore.
~im waiting=D

11/14/2006 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks very bright and stylin. I can't wait to watch the movie. It looks like fun.

www.BurntCity.com

11/16/2006 5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note: If you enjoyed the lover (Jamie Dornan) theres an article/interview with him in the lastest i-D. Great blog btw.

11/16/2006 5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you copied another blogger

12/01/2006 5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you about the plot being boring, but the fashion and visual aspects being so beautiful that you feel compelled to watch. On another note, why do people keep saying it should have been a French actress? It is acting, so many actors/actresses portray a different race or nationality in their roles. And btw, Marie Antoinette was Austrian-not French.

12/29/2008 5:09 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

moncler jackets
prada glasses
lacoste outlet
adidas yeezy
air yeezy
hogan outlet online
russell westbrook shoes
michael kors outlet
ysl
longchamp outlet

5/22/2018 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home