March 24, 2008

Yet Another Black Blazer

Two years ago when I bought my fitted Juicy black blazer with velvet lapels, I thought I was done with this staple. One good quality one is all I thought I'd need. But then this other black blazer popped up on the rack and it had gorgeous silk mini ruffles on the neck collar and black subtle pinstripes AND it was 70% off. I couldn't resist. Then this summer, there was this super fitted dark gray (with a hint of sparkle), 3/4 sleeved blazer with this to die for fancy double layered collar thing also on sale- I had to have it. So really, one can reasonably conclude that I've reached my quota for black blazers. For the record, I have had great mileages for all of them- so they were all completely worth it. Unfortunately recently, I find my eyes wandering again in the black blazer arena.......
While I have enough sharply fitted blazers that stops flatteringly at the waist, I don't have any more loosely shaped blazers that stops at the lower waist. And thus I cannot achieve the totally casual chic look shown above by the Stella McCartney blazer (left) and the Paul & Joe blazer (right) with the sleeves scrunched up. Loosely fitted yet tailored they are the perfect compliment to the more loosely fitted styles that is the trend of late.
I saw Heidi Klum wear such a blazer over a cute dress on Project Runway this season (or I thought I did, since I looked back and could not find it!), and thought, wow I need one of those! I was just facing such a dilemma the other day when I was wearing a dress and couldn't find an appropriate jacket to wear over it. All my other black blazers are simply too fitted and short that it makes the whole look too proper and put together, which totally defeats the current style of casual chic dresses. This more casually fitted blazer cutting neatly solves the problem. The above styles from Tucker (left) and Theory (right) demonstrates my point perfectly. Also note the yellow and gray color theme going on here with the Tucker blazer and the Paul & Joe blazer look.
This blazer also works for a more casual office chic look as seen above from the Zara catalog. They even have a sleeveless version for the summer! Sigh.... I think I've almost convinced myself that I need yet another black blazer with this post. It seems like such an investment staple! Or do I?

Image Source: Zara, Shopbop, Net a Porter and Elle

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'd say if you can find a reasonably priced blazer, go for it! I think the black looks quite classy, but you might want to go with the gray one to be more unique and to have a little variety in your wardrobe. Happy shopping. =]

3/25/2008 4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the more relaxed fit, so comfortable! I do think sadly your more fitted blazers might look a bit dated. I'm sure that's what you wanted to hear, right? ;-)

3/25/2008 10:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I just love them! Have they hit stores yet? Haven't seen 'em 'cept on models.

3/25/2008 11:04 AM  
Blogger posh said...

Go for a classic black one. Perhaps in a more masculine silhouette. They are timeless and thrown over anything looks effortlessly chic.

3/25/2008 11:33 AM  
Blogger STYLE AND THE CITY . COM - PARIS said...

hi street style friend

i am glad to tell you that after 201 street style photo romances in Paris, i've been proposed to create a press magazine about street styles from the world.
50 000 copies in Paris, then...

Now, I have to create a network of passionated blogs for the content

If you like my concept of photo romances, I'll be glad to exchange links for helping me (collaborating ?) to show that fashion comes from street and style gives personality.

clic the english flag to read some photo romances in english

Thank you for your collaboration

best regards

Kamel
street style romancer in Paris

3/25/2008 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg i recently got obsessed with the long blazer-jacket and i'd been hoping someone would write this exact post!

apparently they've been out in asia for a while - note the tailoring (and the low / slanted position of the buttons )that makes it seem more difficult to pull off the look with a regular old blazer that happens to be that length...

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.aspx?pid=1010766279§ion=women&

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.aspx?pid=1010766053§ion=women&

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.aspx?pid=1010762317§ion=women&

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.aspx?pid=1010748008§ion=women&

3/25/2008 12:11 PM  
Blogger Mica said...

Oooh, I love this new style of blazer....I think that the blazers continue to evolve and so you're really buying a whole new item each time. So you could easily justify buying another one or two, as they bring a different look to outfits. :P

3/25/2008 5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great fashion updates..keep up!

3/25/2008 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for more interesting reviews on many topics visit http://www.berwickmusic.org..thanks

3/25/2008 8:18 PM  
Blogger LC said...

awesome, it's kind of looks like those blazers with shoulderpads woman wore in the late 80's

3/25/2008 10:36 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

oh, no, darling, you don't need another black blazer. what you DO need is a long loose blazer in dark or light grey--not black, and therefore entirely justifiable! and ever so much more appropriate for spring looks (obviously goes perfectly with yellow, and will be much more wearable with spring dresses than a black one would be). do it, girl!
xo MG [www.amaterialworld.net]

3/26/2008 9:28 AM  
Blogger Mz.Dream Gurl said...

I REALLY love the colors and the different varieties of clothing and models. You have beautiful shoes and styles and there. The clothes are hot and they're very lovly. I also like the way the models play with the cameras and are so much creative to life.

3/28/2008 1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home