July 03, 2008

Are Big Bows Too Cutesy?

Lately I've been seeing bows, big and small on clothes everywhere. (All the shirts below are from Top Shop simple because I'm too lazy to look through another website.) Sometimes a bow really adds some much needed adornment and girliness to a shirt or dress. But sometimes I feel like it's just too much. As with nautical-inspired clothes, the design could become overly cutesy and costume-looking.


For instance, I first saw this shirt online I thought the bow was way too big. It totally reminded me of the sailor or school uniforms that we see in Japanese anime. But then I saw my friend wear it and it looked simple and cute, but not overly cute on her. Maybe the key is to keep everything else around the shirt (ie. your jeans and hair) simple?


Moving onto more bows... I am not a fan of a bow graphic tee, or any prints that have little bows all over them. I thought the point of a bow was to add something extra, sort of like another layer or texture to the shirt.


I can't decide what to think of this bow. On one hand the top would look simpler but plainer without the bow. On the other hand, it makes a potentially versatile top into something more frilly and girly.


The silhouette (kind of Miu Miu S/S08-esque) caught my eye. The fake buttons are a nice touch, but what do you think of the bows? They seem to suit the shirt.


This is my favourite out of the shirts here. For some odd reason, I really like the huge bow in the middle -maybe it's because the bow doesn't look completely like a big puffy bow. It's very flat and the colours of the shirt (nude and white) make the top seem more sophisticated than cutesy. It looks like a nice top for work (provided you work in a casual business office.)

Anyway, I think I will stop here. I have used the word 'cutesy' way too many times within the past fifteen minutes for my own comfort!

21 Comments:

Blogger alex said...

i also like the last one, it's beautiful...

7/04/2008 12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in all honesty, steer clear of bows altogether . . . tetchy fashion ground. (unless ss08 sportmax head gear - they were beautiful)

has to be said, the t-shirt at the end of the post is noiiice though. it's not so obvious, the folding makes it seem more 'fashyon' and less 'hello, H&M'

ross (newly discovered this blog, very much taken with it, lol)

7/04/2008 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bows on the front of a top do seem to help those of us who are a bit flat chested!

7/04/2008 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the first top, I can imagine it being quite cute with a simple outfit.
Honestly though, I'm really not that into the last one, which everyone else seems to love. It just looks cheap too me. Something about the buttons just really bothers me, and the way it's flattened.. ergh I don't know. I have a very cute bow top from Anthropologie though, so I think this trend can be alright.

7/04/2008 10:01 AM  
Blogger AusAnna said...

I am also very anti printed bows. It seems to miss the point.
I am however in bow favour.
I love detailing and i suggest using what youve got right now.
:)

7/04/2008 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love big bows, especially on tops. The problem is that I have a relatively large chest so a big bow right in the middle looks incredibly awkward. If you are somewhat flat-chested, I think they look really cute ... something different but nothing too outrageous.

7/04/2008 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer a blouse with a loose tie or square knot for several reasons (read my link below). Bows can look juvenile or dandy, but I�m not entirely opposed to them if the style is flattering. A smaller chest is pretty much a prerequisite.

http://www.youlookfab.com/2008/07/03/naughty-necktie-blouses/

7/04/2008 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of bows right now. Everyone is wearing them too much.

7/04/2008 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely diggin the bows.
Although I totally know what you mean by 'too cutesy'. I think it's best to balance a giant bow with some black leather or some other 'rough&tough' material, and you're good to go :)

7/04/2008 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the last one ist very sweet ;-)

7/04/2008 3:41 PM  
Blogger alis said...

I have one very similar to the first one in white, I can wear it with pretty much anything, like a cute basic tee.
The last one is nice too, but it's the cutesyest of them all!

7/04/2008 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tried on the first tshirt, in white, and it was just too sheer for my liking...am not really a fan of bows on shirts, unless they're pussy bow shirts...but i do like bows on headbands, shoes, bags etc..guess it depends on the design..

7/04/2008 11:32 PM  
Blogger TINA said...

I feel the same way, but I do really like the last shirt.
I like flatter bows better than big puffy ones, I guess.

7/05/2008 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like bows but I think bows and ruffle or cap sleeves is too much.

7/05/2008 8:14 PM  
Blogger Stylist Stuff said...

I love bows but only when they're styled in an edgy way or super prissy. If you're fourteen or under bows just look fun and pretty - which of course works really well.

7/06/2008 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this trend! Bows can add a bit of personality and whimsy to an otherwise traditional outfit. Great for the office too, but agree they are probably not appropriate for a business corporate environment.

7/07/2008 1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the bows on the first top - maybe because the bow colour matched the top colour. I wasn't as keen on the rest of them.

7/07/2008 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind the bow look, especially when the bows aren't printed on. shopgoldyn.com has some gorgeous tops with oversized bows on them, kinds of like SJP's oversized flower look. love them!!

7/07/2008 11:18 PM  
Blogger Copycat Sasha said...

I really like that first red one

7/08/2008 5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the last one, but I can't find it on Topshop. Can you post a link?

7/08/2008 6:31 AM  
Blogger xumeiqing said...

151210meiqing
ugg outlet
adidas originals
louis vuitton outlet
air max 95
ralph lauren polo
burberry outlet
adidas superstar
ralph lauren sale
tory burch outlet
michael kors outlet
coach outlet store online
nike running shoes
abercrombie
michael kors outlet stores
ugg clearance
oakley sunglasses wholesale
montblanc
louis vuitton handbags
ugg outlet
north face jackets
michael kors handbags
cheap toms shoes
louis vuitton handbags
christian louboutin
ugg boots outlet
ugg boots
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton outlet stores
cheap jordans
canada goose outlet
canada goose outlet
the north face jackets
michael kors handbags
hollister kids
true religion
coach factory outlet
cheap jordans
tiffany and co
louis vuitton handbags
canada goose jackets

12/10/2015 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home