June 15, 2007

SS07 Trend: Shirt-Dresses

Shirt-dresses have become a summer essential in the past few years. I see it as the less girly version of the other dress trends (like bubble, volume, trapeze, mini or maxi dresses). I've been looking around for one for ages, and even though I still haven't found the perfect one, I've bought one from the Gap (the UK one). It's grey and white striped and it's got rolled-up-looking sleeves. It's not exactly the prettiest or glamorous thing around, but it's super relaxing item to wear and looks decent enough after I add on a thin, white patent belt. Some online finds:

One super 'of the moment' way to wear shirt dresses is to wear them over leggings (left -by Vince). Honestly, without the leggings, some of the shirt dresses can look slightly tacky (-kind of like you just lost your pants,) esp if the shirt dress looks too much like a plain shirt (right -by Splendid).
Another very 'this season' style is gingham/ checker prints. This See by Chloe shirt dress has been quite popular this season.
The Chloe dress (left) is meant for the rich and fabulous when they're out on the beach. The Viktor & Rolf (right) is classic, A-line shirt-dress would sure flatter most body types. Isn't it very 'Charlotte' from Sex and the City?
Here is another A-line shirt-dress. This is a much more youthful design and it's actually affordable, by Lux at Urban Outfitters. (Plus it really shows how much shape belts can provide.)
This pretty, girly one is by Joie. Wearing shirt-dresses with ankle boots (or short boots) is also very this season.
This Rebecca Taylor one is even more girly. I love how it looks so basic on top and when you look down, the flowery slip underneath makes the whole dress look so pretty and feminine. The dress is't very summer-friendly though.
I love this Vanessa Bruno shirt-dress. It's totally got that effortlessly-casual-in-the-city feel to it. (But then again, all of Vanessa Bruno's clothes do.)
When wearing shirt-dresses, I like to think with the attitude of the Stella McCartney shows -you know, that casual, cool, laid-back sort of attitude. Oh, remember to make sure your shirt dress ends above your knees. To make it even more 'this season', have the shirt-dress end mid-thigh.
Photo credit: www.net-a-porter.com. www.urbanoutfitters.com, www.vogue.co.uk, www.shopbop.com, www.vanessabruno.co.fr -Note that I collected these picture from a few months ago, so some of the sites may not sell the dresses shown anymore.

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a marvellous trend. I can't wait to wear one now that summer is here!

6/15/2007 12:51 AM  
Blogger Are You the New Avante Garde? said...

Love! light fabrics like jersey make great shirt dresses also, and in shocking colors too.

however you have to watch out for them cause some of these shirt dresses with the waist ties can make girls look hideous.

6/15/2007 1:30 AM  
Blogger Fiona M said...

I bought the same one you did from the gap! I wear it with brown high heels and a big belt for work. If it ever gets warm, it will be my "cool in the office" outfit.

6/15/2007 2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ya'll! Does anyone have any suggestions where I can get shirt-dresses for under $50 in LA? XOXO Love your blog by the way and good luck with your exams!!!

6/15/2007 3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you kidding? shirtdresses and leggings were trendy last spring and fall. now it's mass market and girls who shouldn't even be wearing leggings are doing so.

6/15/2007 4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree. shirt dresses are totally out.

6/15/2007 4:43 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I heart this trend. I got mine on sale from Club Monaco a few weeks ago for $100. When I wore it to my job I so many compliments.

6/15/2007 7:01 AM  
Blogger Fashion Trend Guide said...

I love the feminine Joie dress with the mod ankle boots! Very inspiring!

6/15/2007 9:35 AM  
Blogger To The Max said...

Shirt dresses belted at the waist are just so unflattering and dull. I love Stella McCartney's take on it - flowing fabrics and a looser cut - gorgeous.

6/15/2007 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the Rebecca Taylor shirtdress. It is very cute feminine and perfect for my taste. But i agree its not the ideal shirtdress for summer.

6/16/2007 12:33 AM  
Blogger Mrs Fashion said...

So useful for Summer
Mrs F x

6/16/2007 4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have never heard of a "graham" print. the see by chloe looks like gingham to me.

6/16/2007 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your blog, your comments about the clothes and the next trends are very cool and true....

I added your blog. if you do the same with mine I'll be very happy...

6/16/2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger Harrods Girl said...

Anonymous 8:24pm -Sorry, I haven't even shopped in LA before.

Anonymous 3:34pm -Thanks! I corrected it.

6/16/2007 10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Rebecca Taylor one! Any clue where I could find it??

6/18/2007 4:15 AM  
Blogger Asi Mod said...

Some of the shirt dresses do look wearable. The one by Lux is quite nice.

6/18/2007 3:09 PM  
Blogger Fajr Muhammad said...

I love a casual shirtdress and with the right accessories and shoes, you can dress it down for day, and dress it up for evening. I actually have the lux one from urban and it's so free flowing and easy!

6/19/2007 9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think these dresses are after when your man comes home from work you and him have sex and your wearing this around the house with nothing else but this I would go with something that fits around the hips to show them sexy curves for curvy girls and add an cute little hoody or mimnimize the collar and you make them 2 tone or solid. and pockets on some.

7/13/2007 12:16 AM  
Blogger Sasha Bashir said...

the only problem I think with shirt dresses is that if they are not designed properly, you can end up looking like you've forgotten to wear pants...

8/25/2007 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed, without the tights, it looks super tacky.

8/31/2007 5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just ordered the shirt dress from Urban outfitters UK, but they screwed up so I never got it and now I'm just craving over it. Any clues on where I could get it on line is highly appreciated!
Anneli :)

9/01/2007 4:22 AM  
Blogger JD said...

Oh wow. This is the antithesis of MY blog

http://shirtordress.blogspot.com

:)

11/20/2008 7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got one today... Divided by H&M from the ukay!!!!! weeeh!!!!

6/24/2009 8:21 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

who cares if the trend was last spring. or fall. its still cute :P

6/30/2009 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the tops.cute look on them

7/11/2009 6:43 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

this is a HORRIBLE IDEA!! just STOP NOW

7/18/2009 6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your information is very good about this trends. I love the examples you showed and I love your differcity. It helped me a lot by creating my own shirt dress!

12/06/2009 10:32 PM  
Blogger JESSICA LAUREN said...

The A-Line shirt dress is oh so delightful. I will be investing in a few dresses for this upcoming Spring, hopefully in bright vibrant colors with equally vivacious heels.

If you get a chance, swing by and say hello. I would love to hear about all your wants, musings, and distractions. Thank you darling and wonderful blog, I will be back regularly.

http://www.itapetingabella.com/

1/22/2010 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just bought one from Braintree Eco Fibre Fashion, which I love! Clean conscience too :)

4/21/2010 11:43 PM  
Blogger blogger said...

Happy Veterans Day 2016 Wishes
History of Veterans Day
History of Veterans Day
Happy Veterans Day Quotes
Happy Veterans Day Sayings
Veterans Day Thanks You Pictures

8/18/2016 7:32 PM  
Blogger Gutthi said...

Latest Blouse Designs
blouse design
Blouse
Designer Blouse
Blouse Neck designs
Saree Blouse
Blouse Pattern
Designs of Blouse
blouse design photos
blouse design catalogue
blouse design books
blouse designs back side
indian blouse neck designs
blouse designs 2017
simple blouse back designs
designer blouse images
designer blouse pattern catalog
blouse design cutting
blouse designs book 2017
best blouse designs 2017

1/22/2017 1:37 AM  
Blogger Gutthi said...

Latest Blouse Designs
blouse design

Blouse
Designer Blouse
Blouse Neck designs
Saree Blouse
Blouse Pattern
Designs of Blouse
blouse design photos
blouse design catalogue
blouse design books
blouse designs back side
indian blouse neck designs
blouse designs 2017
simple blouse back designs
designer blouse images
designer blouse pattern catalog
blouse design cutting
blouse designs book 2017
best blouse designs 2017

1/22/2017 11:26 AM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

snapbacks wholesale
yeezy boost 350 white
rolex replica watches
michael kors purses
ralph lauren polo
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet store
nike trainers
ugg outlet
louboutin shoes

8/03/2017 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home