November 07, 2007

A Weekend in NYC

Having wanted to go to NYC for the longest time (I haven't been since I was 4 years ago!), I finally went this weekend. And let me say, it is more awesome than I remember! Besides the usual Times Square, Saks Fifth and Madison, I also managed to visit Barneys, Carnegie Deli's, Korean town, W Hotel and a few other more interesting places....
Interesting place no. 1, the New York Palace hotel where Serena lives and Chuck owns in Gossip Girl. When we were planning it, we imagined lots of gossip girl-esque pictures- which we realized in the end. The place is as luxe as it looks, except for one thing- it has more traffic than one would imagine from the show. But oh well, it IS a hotel. Oh and behold the picture above of the courtyard- it is not the official xmas decorations for the hotel but for filming purposes only- expect to see this scene on GG. Next place I visited was Soho. First my friend took me to Le Pain Quotidien, a Belgium chain cafe (also available in the upper east side, amongst other places) which served the most delicious Belgium waffle I've tasted this side of the Atlantic. If you have a sweet tooth- you must try this place!
Then, I finally got to visit the Prada store in Soho. It is like the fashion mecca that I forgot to visit last time I was there. Interestingly, outside, it completely blends with the rest of Soho and doesn't look like a Prada store at all. We nearly missed it, if we didn't have the address (that is ONE good thing about blackberries)! And I find it fascinating how such small entrances can enclose such large spaces in NYC, because inside it was HUGE. And the stairs down.... it was just incredible. Definitely a fashionista's stop when in NYC.
Another highlight for me on this trip was the fact that it was SAMPLE SALE SEASON in NYC. So I visited one random sample sale in Soho on Greene St (one of the reasons I went to Soho actually), where I FINALLY found wide legged jeans which I liked! They are from Rich & Skinny and they were only $75! Score! I also went to the Helmut Lang and Rags and Bones sample sale on 32nd St. I was in heaven. Besides the already cheaper prices, there was an extra 25% off everything. In the end, I got a classic white dress shirt and black dress pants from Helmut Lang for $160 in total. I DO need more office clothes after all. And the material and cutting for these two is amazing- smooth and not wrinkly at all (which is SO important for office wear). My white dress shirt is actually slightly different from the one above. It has a slightly asymmetrical cutting, which makes it interesting and at the same time subtle enough for interview purposes. So
I thought that was pretty good for HL. There were more stuff too, like HL jeans and this Rag & Bones dress shirt that I liked.... I had to restrain myself!

I can't wait to go back to NYC! I still haven't covered the Met, Magnolia Bakery, Serenpidity.......

Image Source: ShopBop

27 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i went to NY just this past summer..
it was AMAZING. i miss it SO much

sounds like you had a fabulous time :) love the post

11/07/2007 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally wanna go, too!

And - I LOVE these black pants next to the blouse!


http://shop-or-die.blogspot.com/

11/07/2007 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I love the blog, I had a good look through it, and would be interested in exchanging links with you to my celebrity gossip blog.
Regards Laura Lily.
My Blog http://the-world-in-focus.com/blog3
E-Mail
heston1971@yahoo.com

11/07/2007 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love NYC too! I didn't spend as much time in Soho as I wanted, besides hitting Dean & Deluca to grab snacks but I love hearing about the fashion deals you found!My fav is West village... so quiet and peaceful!

11/07/2007 11:41 PM  
Blogger Fashion! said...

It's impossible to do everything on your list when visiting NYC. And it doesn't help that every time I go more gets added to that list.

11/08/2007 4:43 AM  
Blogger Patent Shoes && Rants said...

That's why I love living next to NYC =)

xoxoxoxo

11/08/2007 5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love NY, there is nothing like the sights and sounds found there.

11/08/2007 5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you really need to proofread your posts before putting them up. your spelling is incorrect on many brands and names and at some points your grammar is so atrocious it's hard to read. at this point i am close to removing you from my bookmarks becaue the posts are declining in quality.

11/08/2007 6:29 AM  
Blogger Carolyn Keene said...

i love le pain quotidien (sp?)!
belgian waffles are so yummy...

11/08/2007 7:03 AM  
Blogger emily said...

i completely agree with the anonymous comment above. i really like your content, but your spelling, grammar, and fact-checking is awful. i'm very close to removing you from my bookmarks list because its starting to be insulting.

(and i'm not just a bitch, i'm a journalist. this needs to stop.)

11/08/2007 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon & Emily: Sorry girls for the errors! I don't know what I was thinking about when I was writing it up in the middle of the night. I've corrected the errors(the ones that I caught) and I'll try to be more careful in the future. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :)

11/08/2007 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily: I hate to nitpick, but perhaps you should check your own punctuation before leaving such a self-important comment on someone else's personal blog. The correct word is "it's," not "its." The phrase "starting to be insulting" is poorly worded as well.

For the record, I do agree that the punctuation and grammar on this site could use improvement.

11/08/2007 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really don't like Serenpidity, I don't understand why so many people talk about how good that is... I've been there 3 times and it's just so disappointed.

11/08/2007 2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gees. PEOPLE NEED TO CALM DOWN i.e. RUDE COMMENTS ABOVE

It's only grammar people. We care about FASHION..not how well a word is spelled.

THIS BLOG IS AMAZING...DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE :)

11/08/2007 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came back from a week-long shopping trip to NYC. I set aside a day for SoHo but got distracted by Bleecker street because I knew the Marc by Marc Jacobs store was there so I never made it! The many days spent on Fifth, Broadway, Madison etc. made up for it though :)

11/08/2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Hey, I was hoping you would check out my photo blog which is basically a photo journey through store windows in Manhattan. Perhaps you can keep an eye up on the fabulous things going on in the city shopping areas without having to always make the trip out here. <3

11/08/2007 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People need to get a life! This is a fashion blog, not a manual on grammar and spelling. Who cares if you take this blog off your bookmarks? The world isn't going to end. If you don't like it... don't read. Simple as that.

This is a great blog! Keep up the great work! :)

11/09/2007 11:39 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Great ideas on where to go. I've lived here for 5 yrs and still have never gone to Serendipity 3. It is definitely on my list though! I know this is not big news abroad, but I'm quite excited by MNG opening here!

11/10/2007 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post and NYC fashion! *Sigh* I have the most major Sex and the City fever with all that mention of Prada and Helmut Lang. Check out this article from Tango about how fashion ties into love...

http://www.tangomag.com/20072008/is-fashion-an-art-or-science-and-who-do-you-dress-to-impress.html

11/13/2007 4:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OH MY GOD!!!
1. people please relax, its a blog...a FASHION blog so appreciate it for its wonderful FASHION news. not the mundane spelling and grammar issues.

2. I live in NYC (well...Brooklyn...but I'm always in the city) and I always manage to miss the good sample sales...what's wrong with me lol.

But yea..I LOVE your blog and must say I am addicted...just know you have a fan that won't nitpick and care if you spell thigns rwong or rihgt...=) hahaha correct that anonymous...=)

www.misswhoever-you-are.blogspot.com

11/22/2007 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Doc Martens Boots said...

please share a post of about long boots and fasion

5/29/2010 3:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

2015710dongdong
coach outlet
ray ban uk
ray ban outlet
hermes birkin bag
ray ban glasses
abercrombie and fitch
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet
burberry outlet online
michael kors outlet
toms outlet
ed hardy outlet
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton handbags
ed hardy clothing
coach factory outlet
coach outlet
christian louboutin outlet
cheap nfl jerseys
coach outlet
michael kors outlet online
soccer jerseys
louis vuitton handbags
chanel outlet
coach factorty outlet
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglass
hollister clothing store
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton uk
pandora charms
rolex watches outlet
gucci outlet
gucci shoes

7/10/2015 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is very good with nice information.
Click Euro Cup 2016 for latest news and live streaming.

3/10/2016 5:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Check out Euro Cup Live Scores to know everything about Euro Cup 2016,which is due to start on 10th June in France and also watch all the matches live.

5/13/2016 9:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Low Price-A decent self credit repair unit ought not cost several dollars. Actually there are numerous great units available that you can down load ideal to your PC that cost less the $75. This is a great deal less then credit repair organizations charge for one month of administration, so at last you will beat the competition by doing it without anyone's help. Check Cashing Chula-vista

12/26/2016 4:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Single word of alert is in need: there are a lot of administrations by advance change organizations who're simply after your money. Which implies that you ought to decline to pay any irrational charges. https://www.usacheckcashingstore.com/corona

12/26/2016 5:58 AM  
Blogger jeje said...

vibram five fingers
true religion outlet
nike shoes for women
cheap jordans
super dry
mbt shoes
nike chaussure
canada goose jackets
pandora
coach outlet online

6/20/2018 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home