May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

It is that time of the year again where we all distress over what to get our mothers for mother's day. So to share my thoughts: In the past, we've covered flowers, so this year I figured, why not a cake? At least it is edible! You can be super personal and make her a cake or if you are not at home, you can send her a cake. They have super convenient shops where you can order a cake online and have it delivered these days- just make sure you know where your mom will be on the day.....A good idea, if I may say so myself, is night wear. Unless you REALLY REALLY know your mom, you will never find an item of clothing that she'd really like and would wear in public. So the next best thing is night wear. They are generally less picky about pajamas and robes since they are worn in the confines of home. You can even get them super cute matchey matchey ones (above: Victoria's Secret)! Or you can get her cute cushiony slippers (though Chinese superstition prevents me from giving anyone anything related to shoes...shame!) to walk around in or a set of luxury towels- hey, its practical, a home cannot ever have too many towels! (left: Victoria's Secret, right: Ralph Lauren).More items for home. You can consider glass vases and bowls, like this very elegant Nambe Piroett bowl (left). Or there are essence like this Anthousa Blossom Ambiance Trio (right). I know, it doesn't sound very useful. But surprisingly, my mom actually uses it!!
For something more personal, you may try getting them facial treatments. Not the daily ones since they probably already have a routine, but those intensive ones used once a week. My grandmother really really LOVES this intensive treatment one from Darphin (left) and if she loves it, it must be REALLY good. Or you can try the Estee Lauder intensive lifting mask above as well (right). I don't have any personal accounts about this product, but they are usually good with their rejuvenating products.
And when all else fails, I always turn to Shutterfly- it is personalize but very easy and convenient. I quite like the canvas photo idea.

Happy Mother's Day!

Image Source: Torrance Bakery, Shutterfly, Victoria's Secret, Ralph Lauren and Saks

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoes are bad? I thought it was clocks that were bad...

5/11/2008 9:53 PM  
Blogger bun2bon said...

I gave my mom a reed diffuser.

5/12/2008 2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reed diffuser? Is that those skewer-type things that stick out of bottles and give off a nice smell?

I gave my mum a pair of Oliver Weber Austrian crystal studs in the form of little hearts. She was extremely pleased, not least because she didn't expect anything else after the ticket to the ballet I also gave her earlier.

PS: The Darphin treatment is excellent. My mum uses it, as well as various other treatments from the brand, and she adores it.

5/12/2008 4:15 AM  
Blogger Siru said...

What chinese then think about shoes and giving them as a present?

juliet xxx

5/12/2008 7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave my mom an apple tree to plant! She loved it.

5/12/2008 9:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I got my mom a cashmere button down leopard print sweater.

But I'd have to say that I disagree on having to REALLY know your mom to decide on good clothes to buy her. My mom and I have very similar tastes. She's very good at picking me out clothes and vice versa.

<3 Knikki

5/12/2008 10:21 AM  
Blogger Fashion Tidbits said...

the cake is a good idea. i can't believe i never thought of that. i guess i just link birthdays with cakes

5/12/2008 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We gave our mother a gift basket with goodies from Burberry, Chanel and Nike.

5/12/2008 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those slippers from Victoria's Secret are so cuuute! loves it! I gave my mom a gift basket - just a hodge-podge of moisturizers, and small knick-knacks she can use at home :)

5/12/2008 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And my boyfriend thought I was insane when I wouldn't buy him sandals. Well hah! I'm not the only one.

5/12/2008 11:47 PM  
Blogger Sunglasses Guy said...

You know what is actually easy to by for someone? Sunglasses. I know it sounds ridiculous, but a pair of popular "big" sunglasses would do. The bigger styles fit almost everyones face.

5/13/2008 12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got my mama a fabulous triple strand pearl bracelet from a website called premiumpearl.com. Very easy and great prices.

5/13/2008 12:13 AM  
Blogger ModernGear TV said...

My Mom is coming to visit in July to my new L.A. home from Canada, so I promised her a pedi...I'll need one then too and that's a fun thing to do.

I love Shutterfly, by the way. We did up photo books from our wedding for parents and my matron of honour. Excellent quality - black leather bound - and very classic. Highly recommended.

5/13/2008 6:11 AM  
Blogger Corlock said...

I gave a cake to my mom, she really appreciated it. She likes mocha cake but I gave her a chocolate one LOL.

PrincipalFashion.com

5/14/2008 3:42 AM  
Anonymous Gideon said...

In my opinion everybody should browse on this.
racing games for pc | download full games | full online games | free pc games | make flash game

11/28/2011 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home