May 01, 2008

SS08: Marc by Marc Jacobs

For the last few seasons (ever since they got into the "grunge" look), I have not been too impressed with the Marc by Marc Jacobs collection. This season though I am delightfully surprised! The collection is preppy and retro-chic. My style but with a refreshing twist!
This collection makes me WANT to buy something orange, and that is a difficult feat. I absolutely detest orange. But I am willing to break the rules for these two dresses. I just LOVE the orange dress with the fancy bow tie (though I cannot quite imagine what occasion that would be appropriate for) and the shirt dress is casual and chic.
I don't even mind being obviously Marc by Marc Jacobs. Many would recognize this very distinct geometric shirt dress (left) as Marc by MJ by now (along with the orange bow-tie dress above) but I still like it. I am really impressed that the color seems so "old" and yet, the whole look is still so young!
At first glance I thought this blue printed dress (right) was really cute. But if you look closer, can you tell that it actually has Marc Jacobs written all over it? I thought it was pretty cool that I couldn't tell at first. But now that I can, I think that kind of ruins the dress. Shame.
The definition of retro chic. I love how they mixed the flirty print and color with such a "proper" design. It is both refreshing and stunning. Though it is a bit too much for me. I prefer the more subtle purple dress (right). I absolutely absolutely adore this dress. It is simple, vibrant, youthful and fun. I've tried it on actually, but the fit of the bodice is a bit off. Maybe if I got it tailored.........
More fun casual dresses. I love the block print (right). Its so off and cute at the same time. And the cut of the heart leaf pinafore dress is just adorable!
The neckline and the prints are awesome. I especially love the neckline of the blue shirt (left: it is very ladylike, but the print makes it fun!) and the subtle pinstripes on the yellow shirt (right).
These two are my favourites of the collection, because I think they are great investments. I'm a great believer in outerwear and these two cardigans are perfect to carry around with you this summer- just in case of freezing a/c temperatures! I waaaaant the white one (right)! It is very Chanel-esque with a youthful touch.
A cute jacket is ALWAYS a good buy. You get the most mileage out of them cause you can just throw it over any outfit- and this one is so chic and stylish! (Though it may be a bit too heavy for the summer). And this pinstripe shirt with the ruffles is just darling!

Now if only I can win a free shopping trip for Marc by Marc Jacobs this season!

Image Source: Net-A-Porter

18 Comments:

Blogger Jen Kalban said...

oo i love the first dress and the yellow shirt! i want!!

5/02/2008 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually miss his grungy style. It's what drew me to his designs; now he designs way too much for the mainstream.

5/02/2008 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The geometric shirt dress is classy in a chic way - I really like it! Perhaps the most striking for me in the pictures you've shown.

5/02/2008 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc Jacob always offer really chic collection. Some of his pieces may look plain and ordinary on the hangers but once put on, they are just fabulous. However, I have noticed that some of his pieces recently are kind of big and baggy. Can't go wrong buying MJ. I still have pieces from years ago that are still very chic today.

5/02/2008 5:14 PM  
Blogger Harrods Girl said...

I like the collection. Def some chic, retro stuff to look out for when things go on sale!

5/02/2008 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cardigans and some other stuff is on sale for SAKS designer sale.

5/02/2008 8:03 PM  
Blogger Nico. said...

I live this collection.

5/02/2008 9:16 PM  
Blogger Closet Cupcake said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5/02/2008 11:36 PM  
Blogger alis said...

I just got my May issue of Elle (turkish edition) today and I was utterly in love with the first two dresses you posted. What a delightful surprise to see other nice picks from the collection, thanks barneys girl!

5/03/2008 2:23 AM  
Blogger AR said...

pretty much everything in the collection is really cute & i usually don't like marc by marc jacobs either. wish i could afford it now!

5/03/2008 4:35 AM  
Blogger LeAnne@Hairs My Story Team said...

I'm a big fan of this season's look. This is very Americana chic.hairsmystory.com

5/04/2008 12:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Lulu Lu. The grunge look is MJ's signature. When MJ was working for Perry Ellis, he was actually let go because his looks were "too grunge." But I like them and I think he is trying to appeal to the masses now. (Which is fine, but just not the MJ I loved back in the day.)

Great stuff, though. Gotta admit.

5/04/2008 8:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Separate comment for the jacket:

That's grunge. Uptown grunge, if you will. LOVE IT!

5/04/2008 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like that jacket! :-D

5/08/2008 4:08 AM  
Blogger fashionhead said...

love the first 2 dresses

5/14/2008 2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Marc Jacobs is my icon and role model ,along w/a few other designer's. I just love these pieces you have posted.

Odio's fashionista's
Nekiwa Smith
www.concretethreads.com

6/29/2008 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With timepieces that ambit in amount from $5,000 to $50,000 the
Breitling Watches
are the ultimate cachet symbols. You can acquiesce yourself to acquirement a celebrated
Breitling Avenger
. If you don't wish to buy 18-carat
Chrono Superocean
again top superior
Superocean
are your ideal choice.

6/23/2010 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Cara Menghilangkan Bopeng Bekas Jerawat said...

It is great to have visited your website. Thanks for sharing useful information. And also visit my website about health. God willing it will be useful too

Obat Pelancar Haid paling Ampuh
Cara Membersihkan flek di Paru-paru
Pengobatan Herbal Rematik/Rheumatiod Arthritis
Obat Herbal Walatra Berry Jus
Cara Mengobati Telapak Kaki Berlubang
Obat Koreng Bernanah Alami

4/20/2018 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home