August 04, 2006

Pressed Powder

This summer, my skin has been annoyingly more oily than usual so changes had to be made to my makeup routine. Ever since last summer and throughout last winter, I used Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser for normal daywear, and Bobbi Brown oil-free liquid foundation for the very special nights out.

Usually these two products wouldn’t make my face oily and I wouldn’t have to use to oil-blotting paper until a few hours later, but I was shocked to find my skin oily after less than 2 hours this summer. I even tried putting on loose powder, which is supposed to help skin stay matte longer, but it didn’t work this time.

So obviously something had to change. Luckily, my mum just happened to have given me the DiorSkin Pure Powder Foundation in Easter, (it came in a promotional package.) I was hesitant to try it at the beginning because I have had some not-so-great experience with pressed powder in the past, but since I didn’t really have much choice, I decided to give it a go.


Yes! After a few days of experiment, I have come to the conclusion that while the pressed powder foundation looks a bit more cakey than the liquid foundations, my face actually lasted ok throughout the whole workday (that’s over 10 hours!) without being too oily. Obviously, my skin wasn’t as made-up looking at the end of the day since a lot of the makeup had already melted, but it’s definitely a huge improvement. Unfortunately, the DiorSkin foundation I have is slightly paler than my real skin colour. Oh well, who’s going to notice anyways?

8 Comments:

Blogger Frapp said...

I rarely wear foundation, I can never get it right and it always ends up flaking. I definitely don't wear it every day, all the girls in my school do, but it just ends up giving you more spots! (Which in my case I really don't need)

8/04/2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

as my skin became oilier and more acne-prone, i switched from my Estee Lauder Futurist and Versace liquid to Shiseido Pureness oil-free compact foundation. IT. IS. THE. BEST. i dont think i'll be switching again until i hit the big three O (thats when our skins starting to get dry). it has some pretty amazing reviews on makeupalley.com, which is my ultimate beauty bible. i mean, forget vogue & bazaar, i always listen to MUA and MUA alone. i've been a MUA member for 5 years now and i've discovered so many amazing products in this community over the years and this is definitely one of them :D

i used Chanel Doube Perfection compact a while ago but i think it is a bit cakey compared to the Shiseido Pureness one.

good luck finding your holy grail summer foundation peepz :):)



http://sofysophia.blogspot.com

8/04/2006 6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like laura mercier pressed powder, use it every afternoon after workday.
for oil free liquid foundation, some very good ones:
laura mercier
chantecaille future skin oil free gel foundation
covermark (from japan)

8/04/2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger pj said...

laura mercier is the best

8/04/2006 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow this was SO good to hear because I have been lost this summer with makeup. I have acne scarring left from years of acne so I used everything and guess wht worked? ACTUALLY worked. Loreal infalliable foundation ! It lasted ALL day under the sun. My skin is super oily btw. However if you have dry skin STAY away from this. it is drying. But for you oily folks you will love this foundation. It covers ! It actually covers.

8/05/2006 12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try bare escentials-- its good for your skin!

8/05/2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

btw i believe the Dior one you got is not "pressed powder" but a compact foundation? pressed powder is used after fluid foundation to set the makeup (much like loose powder just in different forms: one pressed, one loose). compact foundation is just like other foundations but in compact form. just to clear that up! :)

8/05/2006 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give Chanel Double Perfection Powder foundation a try. I have very oily skin and this is the one that I could notice a greater control in oil. It also has SPF.

8/05/2006 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home