October 06, 2007

Paris Fashion Week SS08 Wrapup II

Ah Paris. I usually adore it. But somehow this season, it seems that both of my favourite fashion houses has managed to disappoint me :(

Chloe
Maybe its because I've never really been much of a fan of Marni even at its height, and thus I fail to appreciate Paulo Melim's efforts over at Chloe. I can see a shadow of the effortlessly chic Chloe girl who was, but its like she has been buried in too much unneccesary drapings and graphics. The effect takes away the "effortless" and as for chic, well, that is debateable.
I mean, it doesn't look too bad. These dresses here are like a softer and more feminine version of Marni designs and thats pretty.
And these are ok (well, maybe not that graphic purple dress), but they just don't inspire me to jump up and rush to the store and get something similar you know.
I actually like the feel of the far left and far right dress here. Probably because they resemble some of Philo's last collection except in different prints. Though these graphics don't quite have the glam factors that its predecessors had, these are more youthful, too youthful. I just kind of expected more from Chloe, my favourite brand.

Chanel
Titled Nuits d'Été, this collection was another case of, what was Karl thinking?
I never thought I'd say this, but I thought a lot of the pieces looked trashy. What an oxymoron for Chanel. First of all, I cannot imagine how light colored denim can look good as a bathing suit. I don't even like the color as jeans/jackets that much. I hope that color is not making a come back. And no matter what Karl says, dressing up like an American flag is not classy, not even on 4th of July. Come to think of it, Karl's not even American.....
The dress (left) had potential to be ok, but paired with those boots, ugh. The middle outfit, another ugh. And the model looks like she's wearing an oversized version of little kid's clothing in that colorful dress with the matching socks (right).
Grommet dresses should not be paired with such boots. And admittedly the middle/right dress is not that bad, the middle one even carries a gothic flair thats kind of romantic, its not really to my taste.
Luckily in this 71 piece collection, Karl managed to squeeze in a few more elegant, simple and classic pieces for me. Maybe this makes me boring for being unreceptive to his more adventurous pieces, but THIS for me, is the Chanel style.
And I ADORE these evening pieces as well. They are innovation yet still aesthetically pleasing, flattering to the figure and classy.
Oh and besides those thigh high boots, love the shoes in this collection. Especially LOVE these three pairs shown above. They are works of art!

Image Source: Elle.com

22 Comments:

Blogger Christianthomas said...

Karl indeed managed to take away much of the classy Chanel-look, it's really a shame, but then again he has had many successful collections so one bad one can be forgiven.

I do indeed love the cropped jacket in the second to last imagebatch in the middle. Not a big fan of the evening dresses though.

10/07/2007 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you have an interesting blog!
I agree that those collections weren't the best!

10/07/2007 6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree, what has happened??? I miss phoebe for chloe, and chanel, omg, it's soo trashy.

10/07/2007 6:46 PM  
Blogger Shop Vogue said...

I thought Karl Lagerfeld was capable of more, that CHANEL collection is the worst one I have ever seen, did he get kidnapped or something?


check my blogf or some other fashion inspirations :)

10/07/2007 6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ups, quite disapointing. What is this american flag dress?? I would like to think is more a joke...And Cloe...it looks cheap to me... :-/

10/07/2007 7:25 PM  
Blogger Fashion Tidbits said...

definitely~ the denim is a bit....

10/07/2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HIDEOUS

10/07/2007 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like these. get some fun!

10/07/2007 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with the majority here, most of the chanel collection is trashy! i don't really fancy the chloe either, though i love one dress, first row middle... imagine a summer night in st tropez and a cocktail party... i like that!

10/07/2007 11:20 PM  
Blogger pinkmilk said...

I've always thought Karl was wildly overrated, that collection is supremely dreadful! Don't like graphical print much really as it is usually paired with sack-like dresses so not vyer inspired by Chloe either, disappointingly...

10/07/2007 11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! indeed! the collection was absurd! Who on earth will buy this is beyond reckoning(that is if Chanel even decides to put these things up for sale)
What I hate most is that no journalists seem to be criticising this god awful collection

As for Chloe I actually rather liked it..The Marni references are obviously there but this is an accessible Marni of sorts and the departure from Philo's style although missed was frankly well needed and timely though i still hope she launches her own label soon!

10/08/2007 12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i couldn't believe that was chanel? what happened there?
anyhow, at least the later pieces salvaged the collection, somewhat...

10/08/2007 4:03 AM  
Blogger Susana Rodrigues said...

I like those chanel long red gloves!

10/08/2007 6:33 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

yuck. I miss denim leggings. And ironic use of the American flag is annoying - like Frenchies aren't just as bad - and DONE (by jaspar john)

10/08/2007 10:10 AM  
Blogger Fashion! said...

I totally agree. Chanel is usually my go to for classy and chic, but this set is a complete letdown.

10/08/2007 12:27 PM  
Blogger Poppy V said...

I disagree. The collections were beautiful!

Do you think a girl should be modeling at my age?

Thanks!

Maddi
www.maddison-model.com

10/08/2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I don't completely agree some of the chanel collection was trashy but that was just a few outfits I think overall it was nice and well thought out.
I'm in two minds about chloe though..

10/08/2007 8:12 PM  
Blogger Tips for Makeup and Beauty said...

The collections were beautiful, which to me is what fashion and style is all about.

Regards,
Putty
www.makeupandbeautytips.blogspot.com
www.myrajayoga.blogspot.com
www.true-crime-stories.blogspot.com
www.travel-paradise.blogspot.com
www.worldentertainmentzone.blogspot.com

10/08/2007 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you got the point really. The collection didn't exactly mean to wear the whole outfit that you see together, look at each piece and that's how you view it as whether it was good or not. Yes you can view it how you did, but realistically--it's those certain pieces that are still classy. You put too much judgment on something that you clearly can't view properly. Peace out blogger...

10/13/2007 12:16 AM  
Blogger hannah said...

i really miss the days when pheobe designed for chloe. i just dont love it anymore, especially this collection.

10/13/2007 12:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

karls really got his head somewhere else,i agree its totally tacky!but chloe is really great seeing as chiffon is due to be huge
marie
www.fashionfataleuk.blogspot.com

10/24/2007 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, karl's way off this time, except for that last collection. also, i am wondering where his sense of bling has gone. i always thought he was good at that, and now i feel that it's missing. oh, well, i guess i'll just keep getting my fix at sparkle plenty!

5/12/2008 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home