January 19, 2008

Light-Coloured Blazer With Black Satin Lapels

Hey, so you may have noticed that the blog has been on a short standstill. BG is currently enjoying a chilled, though rainy holiday in Sydney. As for me, I've been MIA for a week because the thingy that gives off the wireless broadband signal broke down at home! (I feel the need to explain because my friend, J was nice enough to make sure I was alive on Facebook, and to apologise for sending out panicked texts and emails from the library to some friends.) So basically, I've been living in an Internet-less environment for 5.5 LONG days. Very long days. I don't know about you, but I'm extemely Broadband-dependent. After digging out all the wires at home and attempting all possible ways to access the Internet and failing, all I thought was, OMG how am I going to survive? Omg, save me. The situation was somewhat like the situation descibed in this NYT article.

So obviously, I finally have broadband wireless at home, (thank goodness!) and can blog again. Today's post is about one of my favourite item of clothing, the blazer. Specifically, light-coloured blazers with black satin lapels. I'm not 100% sure that the black bits are called lapel but I basically mean the collar and the flap of fabric along the V-neck. (Yes, I know I lack fashion knowledge.)

Even though I only own one black blazer, I realised that black blazers sometimes look too boring or formal for casualwear. So when I saw this Marc by Marc Jacobs blazer I really wanted it. It's so sleek, well-cut and cool. And since it's cropped, the length looks really flattering and perfect. Unfortunately it costs 398USD -well above my budget for a not-too-practical blazer. If you think about it, white jackets get dirty really easily, and this blazer is definitely not one for the worn-out look.

After searching awhile, I found another one. This one is by Lux at Urban Outfitters. OK, so it's not white and doesn't look as sleek as the Marc one. Just in case the picture isn't clear, it's light grey and has grey stripes on it. But at 55 pounds, it's way more affordable and worth it for casual-going-out wear.

What does everyone think of these blazers?

Image credit: http://www.shopbop.com/, http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Marc Jacobs stuff!
The jacket is amazing, the one from Urban outfitters is cute, and probably something I could afford!

1/19/2008 6:02 AM  
Blogger Malaywood said...

i like both, actually, but prefer the urbanoutfitter more.that look similar to what kate moss usually where, the satin black laple .

just a favor, could you do, a posting on winter clothing,because north face usually sell those baggy,ordinary winter clothing.and its boring.what would you suggest for winter?still warm and yet in fashion! =)

1/19/2008 7:43 AM  
Blogger An Aesthete's Lament said...

Chic. Very chic.

1/19/2008 8:27 AM  
Blogger alis said...

Here is a gorgeous blazer:

http://www.fashiontoast.com/2008/01/vans-are-new-cape.html

Blazer's are cool unless they look corporate, and a different cut and a detail is probably enough to make it look non-corporate.

1/19/2008 8:35 AM  
Blogger theceelist said...

I really like the blazer!

www.IGotUGGs.com

1/19/2008 12:46 PM  
Blogger fashion babble said...

I really like the Urban Outfitters one. it's really cute, with a boy-ish feel to it :)

great blog!

1/19/2008 5:32 PM  
Blogger Monkey's Bunny said...

I'm a blazer-fan myself. Doesn't matter which store I went into; I just seem to know exactly where to find them! lol.

I prefer the one from UO. I think you can pair it with so many things, unlike the one by Marc Jacobs. Somehow I can't imagine that it'll look good with a t-shirt inside (like the UO model wears it.)

But maybe I'm biased.. I'm not exactly keen on cropped jackets/blazers to begin with. heh!

1/19/2008 9:14 PM  
Blogger NonchalantMod said...

i got the MJ one as a present!its lovely.

1/19/2008 9:45 PM  
Blogger maria said...

I love that look, the white blazers with black lapels. So chic like a classic black blazer, but with a twist.

I blogged about them to:
http://modemedmere.blogspot.com/2007/10/blackwhite-tux.html
and
http://modemedmere.blogspot.com/2007/11/endnu-et-tux-fix.html
It's in Danish though, but tjeck out the pics!

1/20/2008 2:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Definitely agree that the MJ one is probably not the best investment as it gets dirty... You could probably buy 2-3 different blazers for that price...

<3 Knikki

1/20/2008 10:29 AM  
Blogger Pritika Gulliani Jain said...

I'm from India so Marc Jacobs and UO is not really accessible. But I'm sure I could get it stitched !!

1/21/2008 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blazer is something different...but yet somewhat vague as the same time. It could have been done a lil' different to make it more edgy. I guess once you're used to the REIGN of KMT style of clothing, nothing else is good enough lol.

1/22/2008 7:44 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love the Marc Jacobs one. :] It's so cute, but I think the Urban Outfitters one is more practical.

1/22/2008 9:54 AM  
Blogger Tulz said...

I agree that the MJ one is extremely gorgeous but not very practical. I've been meaning to buy one, so maybe I will get a white one. Not too sure about the UO one though.

1/26/2008 6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Marc Jacobs one

3/28/2009 2:43 AM  
Anonymous Eli said...

Here, I do not actually imagine it will have effect.
English Saddle | flowy dresses | Sudbury airport

12/17/2011 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home