February 29, 2008

The Limited Edition 2.55

The luxury retail market is always coming up with gimmicks and limited edition goods to lure customers into buying more and more.
Chanel's latest Limited Edition product, is this 2.55 in honor of the Chanel Mobile Art Exhibit. Now this may look like any old 2.55, but for once in fashion, the beauty lies on the inside.
Inside the flap to be specific. Inside the flap, is this signature by the legend of fashion himself, KARL LAGERFELD, commemorating the Mobile Art Exhibit in Hong Kong. Logic tells me that Chanel is trying to rip people off, because the scribbling of a few words inside the flap is certainly NOT worth the premium they are charging for it over the standard 2.55's. A mere signature does NOT bring one closer at any level to the author of the signature. The red/orangey color isn't even that complimentary!

But the fashionista side of me is in AWE that I have been able to get so close to and even trace Karl Lagerfeld's signature. I admit, I might have even let out a tiny squeal of delight. A little like what Victory Ford felt when she found Coco Chanel's dress form in Lipstick Jungle (though of course, this is not QUITE as cool nor meaningful, since I know nothing about designing and making clothes). I know this reaction is probably completely illogical and against my better judgment since it is obviously a marketing ploy to make more money for Chanel, but oh, I just can't help it! :)

And I can't wait to go see the exhibit! Its fully booked this weekend, but I'm definitely going next week! Report back!

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it an original signature on every bag, or is it a print? If it's a unique signature on each one, I can see how it becomes a "collectible" premium and not so much a "fashion" premium.

3/01/2008 2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess if you had tons of money to throw away it's a good idea...

3/01/2008 7:19 AM  
Blogger Secretista said...

^^ I agree.

3/01/2008 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WANT THIS.
'Nuff said darlings!
xx JustBekky

3/01/2008 6:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One of your best posts, I can feel your excitement. Steph xx

3/01/2008 10:30 PM  
Blogger elena said...

wow, very particular this detail, the asignature, i thin it´s great!
i´m new and if u like to visit me my blog is www.pinkpurpurin.blogspot.com

3/02/2008 1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i, like closettherapy, would like to know if karl lagerfeld actually physically signed the bags himself, or has his signature been digitally printed onto the bag... it would be pretty cool if he signed each one individually, but im feeling that isn't that case..

i don't mean to be a downer, but personally i can't muster the same enthusiasm for the bag as you! is it just me, or is the 2.55 not all that attractive? i know it's a classic, but give me pastel coloured chanel quilted lambskin purses anyday over the 2.55.

3/02/2008 1:25 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

I love this bag! it's pretty cool.

3/03/2008 1:56 AM  
Blogger Heather Palacios said...

I somehow found this blog...and I am lovin' it! Your post on round toe shoes on the out? I'm all over that...I'm pitchin' 'em and on the prowl for pointies! Thanks!

3/03/2008 4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@mimi - you're kinda speaking my language there, girl! I'm not a big fan of the Classic or 2.55, there's far better looking purses out there than that. It's just the legend that keeps them purses alive. I mean when you're sporting one of these, everyone knows it's a chanel, right? So it's no more about the bag, but about the snob-wearer. mho

3/04/2008 2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey barneys girl,

i was wondering how to book tickets? i went to the site and nothing's really loading for NEW YORK.

any information you could provide would be helpful, i hope i can catch a glimpse of the exhibit!

i love your posts, btw.

- joyce

3/04/2008 11:09 AM  
Blogger vv said...

I've got to say, one of my colleagues carries a 2.55, and the conclusion I've come to is that you really, really have to pick your leather/colour to make it look as super special as...well, everyone regards it.
Hers is black, a classic, but that particular leather makes it look, well, ordinary.
To clarify-I'd have one in ANY finish/colour, but i mean this as a, "in an ideal world...where chanel bags are as accessible to me as topshop ones, i'd be really picky."

Great post.

www.knittingalovesong.blogspot.com

3/04/2008 10:58 PM  
Anonymous cheap handbags said...

The Chanel Medium Lambskin Shoulder Bag is the perfect replica designer handbag to give yourself

7/21/2009 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..Get a LIFE.....

9/18/2009 4:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Many women wish Hardy clothing
. If you like active appearance that is aswell anxious and sexy, you would absolutely charge to analysis out the hardy shirt
collection. Go for the adult hardy shirt
and about-face active with your attitude! Choose the beautiful hardy shirts
.

6/23/2010 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Sildenafil said...

nice limited edition purse! and better my wife does not see this post or she will ask me to buy one of those purses for her, good post anyway!

9/09/2010 3:26 AM  
Anonymous Boniface said...

Oh my god, there's a great deal of helpful information here!
download de jogos para pc | famous free games | game news sites | easy games | no time limits games

11/28/2011 10:07 AM  
Blogger chip said...

chiropractor Malvernbanner standsMany women wish Hardy clothing
. If you like active appearance that is aswell anxious and sexy, you would absolutely charge to analysis out the hardy shirt
collection. Go for the adult hardy shirt
and about-face active with your attitude! Choose the beautiful hardy shirts

12/14/2011 4:18 PM  
Anonymous العاب تلبيس جديدة said...

العاب تلبيس بنات
al3ab banat

9/12/2017 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home