August 27, 2008

The Original Penguin

The other weekend, my friends and I had a sudden craving for some good quality burgers and shakes, so we thought- Johnny Rockets! But when we got there having anticipated it for hours, we couldn't find it! Where did Johnny Rockets go? After much wandering around, we finally realized that it has been replaced with a Penguin store.
Personally I didn't realize they had enough merchandise to warrant a whole store. I'd always associated Penguin with men's polo and preppy menswear in general. I didn't know they had womens wear!
So it appears that they do. And the style very much reminds me of the likes of Ted Baker, which is ironic since this brand stems from Minneapolis.
Looking at the window display (instead of indulging in burgers and shakes), I rather liked the shirt dress (above left) they showed. Admittedly it isn't a dress that immediately takes the breath away, but I like to think that there is a subtle charm to it- it also played right into my sudden recent obsession with shirt dresses. I also like this blue shirt dress (right), because while the cutting and design is really simple, the mixture of small polka dot prints with the thin floral print (or I think it's floral) belt is just adorable. My friend just gave me a 20% off coupon for Penguin.. maybe I'll go check this dress out. I hope they fit better than Ted Baker (Ted has the prettiest clothes, but with the worst fit!).
They also have these pretty standard looking dresses. I reckon the plain red dress would be an awesome dress to wear if you loved to accessorize- think headband, think crazy necklace!
These are not bad either. I think I even have something very similar. But you see what I mean about being very Ted Baker? Browsing through their website, I cannot help but feel like I've seen and have been excited about everything before already.... I'd like Johnny Rockets back please!

Image Source: The Original Penguin

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penguins womens is always ill-fitting for me, just like Ted Baker.

8/28/2008 12:33 PM  
Blogger Tulz said...

I love the coat in the first picture. It's so elegant!

8/28/2008 6:12 PM  
Blogger Siru said...

Why do they always have those blond "nothing" models in the show off ( not ad) pics?

juliet xxx

8/28/2008 10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've recently discovered this blog and I think it's excellent. The problem is that I'm from Spain and I've been looking urban outfitters page. I really love the dresses but you can't buy them in Spain. The same happens with The Original Penguin!!

8/28/2008 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a really cute summer dress by Penguin at a store in San Francisco this summer, but it came with one thing that also reminds me of the Penguin brand: a huge price tag! The dress was nice, well made and fit alright, but it definately did not warrant the triple digits that it cost.

8/29/2008 1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the blog, and i feel her pain about not paying the price for clothes that are not worth it, bleu clothing has a huge sale going on..nothing but the high end designers, you should check it out

8/29/2008 5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dress on the third left picture is def chic and a must have. Love it!

8/29/2008 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I quite like these clothes, actually. I do agree it's very Ted Baker, although I wouldn't know about the fit, since here in Australia we do not have it. I very much like the preppy champagne blouse and the ivory pussy-bow with the vest opposite it.
Pro blog, please checkout mine at www.sweetlywhyems.blogspot.com
:)

8/29/2008 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all the designs looks really kewl

8/29/2008 7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the blue shirt dress it's somewhat slick yet simple...<3

8/31/2008 12:09 PM  
Blogger TheBlonderTheBetter said...

Penguin fits my husband really well - kind of "American" vs. "European" fit. And, their stuff has a lot more personality than some of his other options. ie. Brooks Brothers, etc.

9/03/2008 2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say ted baker is like Original Penguin, not other way around. Penguin has been around since the 50's. How long has Ted Baker been around?

11/08/2008 10:07 AM  
Anonymous gih said...

Perfect Capture. Nice photos.

3/28/2010 5:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was just roaming around the internet, i found your blog, my god,the posts on this blog is awesome and the designer fashion accessories are too good !! Thanks for great posting!!:)

4/28/2011 4:26 AM  
Blogger elkamaal said...


شركة شحن بري من مصر للسعودية
شركة شحن من مصر للسعودية
شركات شحن بري من مصر للسعودية
شركات شحن بضائع من مصر للسعودية
شركات الشحن الدولى من مصر الى السعودية
شركة شحن من مصر للسعودية
شركة نقل برى من مصر الى السعودية

9/26/2018 4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home