August 20, 2008

Understated and Elegant?

In celebration of her recent bonus and exam results, one of my girl friends decided to invest in a handbag. She asked me to recommend her something suitable for work that is understated, classic and preferably not Chanel (which was naturally my first instinct!). Naturally when it comes to understated, classic, the Birkin comes to mind, but I think we can wait a few years before we proceed to that level. So I added young to the equation. Many "it" bags come to mind, but few are classic. So here I've listed a few that I think may last through the test of time. The Balenciaga motorcycle (left) and the Miu Miu bow bag (right). HG and I love them both and if you've been reading this blog, you'd know that already since these two bags have been positively overblogged by us. They were 'it' for a reason. I may be biased (because we own them), but I'd like to think that these two are classic. Only thing is that they've been around for a while already so you'd see it a lot in the streets and I'm not exactly sure that they qualify for "understated" or work (is there such a thing as being too hip for work? or am I just being a prude?). Two bags I personally think is more understated and appropriate for work, is the Classic Multi Pocket bag from Marc Jacobs (left) and the Dr Q Groovee satchel from Marc by Marc Jacobs. These are not as in your face as some 'it' bags, but they are definitely still very recognizable as MJ by those in the know. They are also simple, elegant and young. Love them!
For a bit more detail and design, there is the Miu Miu napa bag. But I personally think that this one is a but too recognizable and will be dated in a year or so. For something a bit more exclusive there is the Valentino Histoire bag, a less common 'it' bag that resembles the Mulberry bag from back in the days a bit.
And I KNOW that this is supposed to be young and understated, but I can't help but posting these two. If I were a bit older I'd definitely go for the Bottega Veneta bag (left). Even though it is covered with the Vuitton monogram, I can't help but love this Vuitton Mahina bag. The prints are subtle and the design is just elegant and so cute all at once. I want one!
Now for the winner of this competition- the YSL Muse. A bit more sophisticated than the Marc Jacobs, this bag is structured, simple and elegant. It fits everything and is definitely perfect for work. I checked out the Muse II as well, but I didn't really like it. It looked like it was pretending to be a Birkin. For something a bit more casual and young, I am loving the YSL Downtown bag as well. This will probably be less common on the streets as well.

Any other bags I missed out?

Image Source: E Luxury, Saks and Balenciaga

19 Comments:

Blogger Blavy Enthusiast said...

I think a really great bag would be the Giant Day by Balenciaga. It is a large, shoulder bag with the same details as the motorcycle bag.

ps. Love the blog! Check mine out if you get a chance :) blavyenthusiast.blogspot.com

8/21/2008 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. could we be affiliated?

http://celeb-fashion1.blogspot.com/

8/21/2008 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous designs but I am very fussy when it comes down to handbags. It has to be able to carry the kitchen sink and all that jazz

8/21/2008 6:02 PM  
Blogger Siru said...

The Balenciaga motorcycle would be the one I'd get from these choices. Though it is an old It -bag, but it wouldbe easiest to fit with many kind of shoes and colors.

juliet xxx

8/21/2008 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Valentino Histoire bag. I think it would be perfect for work if you are wearing a suit or something a little more casual. Great choices!

workchic.com

8/21/2008 7:56 PM  
Blogger Miss B said...

I'm partial to the Balenciaga Motorcycle bag because I own one and I'm very comfortable carrying it to work. I also really like the Valentino Histoire, great style.

Some of my other top choices would be: Lanvin Happy Sac, Givenchy Postino, Longchamp Rodeo Tote or the Marc Jacobs Patchwork Stam bag. Not necessarily "it" bags, but I still think they're classy, stylish and great for work.

Eek, now you have ME thinking about new bags! Love your blog btw, I've been reading it for a while but have only recently started one myself:

http://itsmemissb.blogspot.com/

8/21/2008 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree on your choice regarding the YSL bags that are classic and work-appropriate. Another brand I would add to my list is Salvatore Ferragamo.

8/21/2008 11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just posted an entree about big bags in New York. Your blog is great!

xoxoxo kathrin
www.twoforfashion.de

8/22/2008 4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i´m not a big it-bag fan, but the YSL broke my heart. really!

8/22/2008 4:17 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

i think a louis vuitton speedy 30 is a good bag, as well as the marc jacobs stam. i don't understand why she wouldn't want to own a chanel though, it's dreamy! =D

8/22/2008 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if you're supposed to use the Dr Q Groovee bag with the brass tag on it, or should I remove it? Thanks!

8/22/2008 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like all the black or the dark colored bags....coz' I'm a fan of the color black...

8/22/2008 8:33 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

For work, I carry 2 bags. One for my laptop and one as a purse. The purse is usually the Cartier Cabochon flap bag, in black, but right now I'm loving my LV Damier Azur Hampstead since it's summery. For my laptop, I have a Longchamp leather messenger bag.

While I do love your suggestions, they are still 'trendy', and nothing is as timeless as Chanel and Cartier :) I think LV can be an appropriate choice, but only the Epi line.

Just my two cents!
Tina
www.fashionprospectress.com

8/23/2008 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is it a fashion trend that the handbags are getting larger and larger?

8/24/2008 6:25 AM  
Blogger A BIT COQUETTISH said...

omg i am dyingggg to own the miu miu vitello lux in that gray color!! and i'm sooo happy i finally got my hands on a balenciaga motorcycle bag in black!! =)

8/25/2008 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would vote for the YSL Rive Gauche in black or grey. It's sophisticated, understated and the leather is beautiful. Even though it's pretty sophisticated, it gets nice and slouchy over time, so it's not too stuffy. I love the Muse, but it seems a little "It" and not as understated. A YSL Catwalk in grey would be nice as well, but it can't hold as much.

The Balenciaga motorcycle bag/Miu Miu bow satchel/Coffer are all great, really cute bags. I carry mine lots on weekends (Bal in metallic pink; bow in talco), but fine them a little too young and "fun" for where i work (investment bank).

Your friend might also like a Celine Boogie Bag (in an unusual color, perhaps?) or the Valentino Maison Studded Tote/Couture Braided Leather tote or Tod's Marlene Torcigione (my personal favourite's the forest green shade!)

8/27/2008 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own the MIU MIU big bow bag and I must tell you, it is absolutely FAB! you will not regret buying it! however I also looove the balenciaga bag!
But I def think u should go for the MIU MIU bag!

3/17/2009 3:30 AM  
Anonymous Clair said...

It cannot really have success, I suppose so.
steel building

11/05/2011 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Dale said...

Well, I do not actually imagine it may work.
chest pain from anxiety | mercedes benz financial | to do in boston

11/26/2011 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home