April 02, 2008

S/S08 Trend: Seeing the Stars

One of the most copied (and the easiest to imitate) trend this season so far is the star print. It's everywhere. It's in all the highstreet stores I've been to or checked out online. And I'm really starting to dislike it.

Let's start from the beginning, the star prints were most prominently featured in the S/S08 collections of YSL in the form of big starry prints and costume jewelry. The plastic star earrings were sold out when I went to a YSL store a few days ago in Hong Kong. As for the plastic star necklace, the first time my friends and I saw the price online, we were absolutely flabbergasted!
The other prominent star supporter was Chanel, in the form of little white stars with a navy blue backdrop. Some fashion magazines have included it as an example of the stars trend, while others have claimed it to be part of the 'American' colours trend (-I guess because of the stars part of the US flag.)
Kate Moss, ever the trend leader already started wearing it last year.
No matter where the trend started, the Chanel version has definitely spread. I don't want to be mean, but I think that one should be very careful when buying star printed items because it's so easy for these items to look cheap.
These two are what I think are the best examples of how the star printed items can look cheap. The dress on the left (by ASOS) just looks sort of skanky, and the skirt on the right (by Top Shop) looks so cheap and childish looking that I wonder who above the age of 14 would buy it.
As for this Oasis dress, doesn't it look too mature to you? Or maybe they were just aiming for an older audience.
These two items are both by French Connection. I really dislike the top -it just looks cheap and very tight-fitted. But strangely, I think the dress version is kind of cute.
I do think the star prints can look nice on certain items. Take these tops for instance, maybe it's because of the material or elegant designs, but these top look really pretty. I especially like the white one (left) by ASOS -imagine it as part of a work outfit! The top on the right is by Top Shop.
And check out this dress by ASOS. I'm still not sure what to think of it: On one hand, I think it's styled and modelled really coolly in the picture. On the other hand, I can't imagine actually wearing a complete outfit that is all star-printed.
For something more fun than the white and navy blue star prints, Emilio Pucci has a few pieces of colourful star printed items.
In sync with the star trend, Top Shop has this very basic pink T-shirt. I imagine it would look cool on a teenager doing the whole rock chick/ skater girl look (-yes, perhaps I watch too much TV and read too much high school fiction.)
I'm just not a fan of the star-prints, I guess. It's such a slippery slope that I haven't been brave enough to buy anything star-printed yet. Has anyone bought something star-printed yet? How are you liking this trend?

36 Comments:

Blogger Thumbelina Fashionista said...

Ha ha, I JUST bashed this trend on my blog today! ESP, no? I agree: in many ways, it looks childish or political. I'll pass.

4/02/2008 4:09 AM  
Blogger moderngirly said...

I didn't even realize it was a trend...but a couple of weeks ago I got a swimsuit at Target from the collection by Jovovich-Hawk that has stars on it. It's a black string bikini with striped strings and really small stars as the main print that are kind of an offwhite/light yellow color. I've never had anything with stars on it...but I really like my swimsuit!

4/02/2008 4:46 AM  
Blogger Natty said...

I have the topshop star print dress and to be honest I dont really want to wear it now as it is such an obvious trend piece. I think I will keep in in the back of my wardrobe until stars disappear again!

4/02/2008 5:30 AM  
Blogger 1234 said...

i think the star print looks really really tacky

4/02/2008 6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

goodness, I am seeing stars. I don't like star prints and think it looks cheap designer or not. Yikes. Maybe these designers are trying to be patriotic? I just can't put stars with style or fashion.

4/02/2008 6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not crazy about this.. i liked that ASOS short sleeved star-print dress, but i agree with you that it would be weird wearing an outfit entirely printed with stars. the only time i could picture wearing it would be the fourth of july..

4/02/2008 6:54 AM  
Blogger Lady Apple said...

oh, i absolutely LOVE stars!!! but you do have a point...i am not sure that i would wear a whole entire star printed outfit!!!

4/02/2008 7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate it. It looks so and immature. definently not classy

4/02/2008 8:01 AM  
Blogger heather said...

AMEN! I can't help but think of accessories available at Claries

4/02/2008 8:02 AM  
Blogger trixie19 said...

The look reminds me of Rainbow Bright and I, personally, like to think I've matured since age five.

4/02/2008 8:55 AM  
Blogger Tulz said...

I LOVE the white ASOS top. It's sooo cute and elegant.

4/02/2008 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it must really be a big trend or something...Miu Miu revisited their archive and made a dress, exactly like the one they did three years ago!!! (same cutting, same star pattern but more expensive now) On sale now in Miu Miu shop in HK...I hope Miu Miu doesnt run out of ideas soon :-(

4/02/2008 9:40 AM  
Blogger Ashanti Appassionata said...

You can keep the stars, although I do like the ASOS top with the white background... Otherwise, yuck. Of course if something looks good on you - then go for it. But the images of the pieces aren't very flattering at all...
http://thisismylife-diva-at-large.blogspot.com/

4/02/2008 10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually had my star-printed top since early last year. It's beige with tiny silver stars. I wasn't aware until recently that it had become a trend. I like the last ASOS dress but I wouldn't wear any of the other ones.

Like all trends, just because it's hot right now doesn't mean you have to blindly follow, right?

4/02/2008 12:38 PM  
Blogger AR said...

I like the star tank tops but I would never wear an outfit completely made of stars - maybe on the fourth of July lol... too many stars are blinding!

4/02/2008 12:39 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I too just finished bashing little stars...I linked to you & I'm glad all the very best fashion critics (i.e. us) all seem to agree :)

4/02/2008 1:09 PM  
Blogger Mica said...

I look at teh start print the same I do witha floral print - it can be done really well, or it can just look ugly. Like you noticed, it depends on the print aswell as the style of clothing it's on. Most of the images of real products looked okay to me :)

4/02/2008 2:13 PM  
Blogger alis said...

I like the white asos top, I would wear it, but even if it were like 10 dollars, I would rather spend that money on something with a nicer print (or non-print).
The asos dress looks fine too, but nicky hilton is wearing a similar one here:

http://www.whowhatweardaily.com/website/full_article.php?id=580

and it looks pathetically tacky...
The thing with star prints are they're neither classy/polished or trashy/rock-chic enough to be stylish. They're just...wrong.

4/02/2008 5:36 PM  
Blogger Alicia - Sea Of Ghosts said...

well said, i am hating star print. there is basically no way to stop it from looking juvenile. the only item i even remotely like is the pink blouse.

4/02/2008 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually really like the Oasis dress, but then, I am ancient :) Most star print stuff just looks horribly cheap to me, though, so if I was going to wear it, the stars would have to be small enough to pass for polka dots. Sadly, though, when something becomes as "on trend" as this, though, I generally don't wear it: partly for fear of looking exactly like everyone else, and partly because I'm cheap enough to like my clothes to last more than one season, and this is just going to date so quickly.

4/02/2008 10:14 PM  
Blogger Siru said...

It's really hard to believe that French Connectionwould do something like that.

juliet xxx

4/02/2008 10:38 PM  
Blogger Upper West Side Femme said...

i agree that star prints can look tacky, but i love Kate Moss's blouse with the gray vest and gray slacks. it works so perfectly!

4/03/2008 1:47 AM  
Blogger Kira Aderne said...

hello!!!

i love stars!!!
and you got so many great looks!! love it!!

look,
you are in my links of the day!
hope you like it!
a kiss and a hug

Kira

4/03/2008 2:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's no worse than the Marc Jacobs shirts that have Hilary Clinton plastered on the front.

4/03/2008 2:55 AM  
Blogger Fashion Tidbits said...

i think i could go far as having a star scarf but nothing more

4/03/2008 11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say... ew? Kate Moss looks like a someone's grandma who went overboard on the 4th of July in that jumpsuit.

4/04/2008 1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can not get on board with the star print. I have never been a fan and certainly don't plan on wearing it anytime soon. I just don't think it looks polished or appropriate. Unless its the Fourth of July.

4/04/2008 4:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i do like the dress by asos but only on the model. I completely agree with you guys!

4/06/2008 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.cyoungdesigns.com

4/08/2008 12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i recall correctly it was actually viktor and rolf who started this trend about two seasons ago..also someone who has been seen wearing the stars is rihanna in the "shut up and drive video." one last thing for anyones who's intrested theres a whole page spread on this in the april 2008 british vogue..haha i think its the new stripes/polka dots! havent decided if i approve yet..its a bit avril lavigne *yuck*

4/08/2008 3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Star shirt would go PERFECT with the "Edies" by The 2 Bandits.

http://the2bandits.com/

3/24/2009 12:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the star trend. It's easy to copy. Some of these dresses are really cute. And Kate Moss looks nice, as usual.

4/10/2010 6:13 AM  
Blogger Raisa R. said...

I like the star print

5/28/2010 11:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

adidas superstar
longchamp
adidas tubular
100% real jordans for cheap
adidas superstars
nhl jerseys
air max
yeezy
longchamp
yeezy boost 350

3/22/2018 11:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WWW0809

air jordan 8
ray ban eyeglasses
off white clothing
ralph lauren uk
prada shoes
christian louboutin sale
soccer shoes
pandora charms
skechers outlet
pandora charms

8/09/2018 5:15 PM  
Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.9.13jordan shoes
coach outlet factory
moncler jackets
north face
ralph lauren polo
ugg outlet
canada goose outlet
christian louboutin
golden goose
ralph lauren uk

9/13/2018 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home