December 05, 2007

I Dream of a Lifestyle Involving Many Cocktail Dresses III: Sequined Scarves

One of my favourite ways to wear skinny scarves has been to wear it like a tie. (Emphasise on the 'like' -I still haven't figured out how to tie a tie yet even though I have been taught several times.) So recently I was styling and shopping my friend for her pre-graduation party season For her traffic light party, she already had a basic cotton, round-necked, short-sleeved dress. It wasn't a dress that screamed party so I decided accessories. The obvious choice would be to go for an oh-so-popular wide, patent leather belt, but it didn't really suit her. So I chose her a thin, silver sequined scarf from Oasis (a UK high street store,). I've seen her party photos and believe me, the sequined scarf really adds a sparkly-and-glam factor to an outfit. Here's an imitation of her outfit:

A plain dress from Top Shop. While dresses like that aren't exactly party material, they are good for day-to-night days. Plus -

For night, add a sequined scarf to make the basic dress more fun.

If you have a dressy event and you want to wear a sequined scarf, make sure your dress is pretty plain, like this purple Shelly Steffee slip dress or this electric blue Julie Haus Cha Cha dress.

Even though I haven't tried it yet, I suspect a sequined scarf would also look cool with strapless dresses. The green A-line dress if by Susana Monaco and the black one if by Laila Azhar.

Or a V-neck dress.

This woven beaded scarf is also from Oasis. It's not as sparkly as the all-sequined one, but I can't find the exact photo on Oasis' website.

If sequined scarves are too 'bling' or 'shiny' for you, then maybe go for a metallic scarf and wrap it all around your neck like in this image from Urban Outfitters.

Image credits: www.shopbop.com, www.oasis-stores.com, www.asos.com, www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk, www.topshop.com

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

haha i have trouble with the tie-scarf thing too... good post.

<3 Knikki

12/05/2007 7:18 AM  
Blogger oatylime said...

I have a dress just like the blue one in the first picture.

I've had so much trouble trying to make it less boring. This is a great accessory!

12/05/2007 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about square scarves? i never know how to tie those. would they look the same with dresses?

12/05/2007 11:46 AM  
Blogger la petite fashionista said...

i love the idea of sequined scarves, i think they add a little something to a plain holiday dress.. and im all about that little something<3
xoxo

12/05/2007 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a skinny black scarf with silver sequins on it and I LOVE it. Sometimes it can get itchy, though...but it's worth it XD.

12/06/2007 3:33 AM  
Blogger Patent Shoes && Rants said...

Once again- Ahmazing choices.

Do you ever have a bad outfit day? I can't picture it.

xoxoxoxo

12/06/2007 5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love the scarfs as a way to make a simple holiday dress more stylish. I love the sequin scarfs and have been looking for one that I could wear during the day and at night. I would recommend checking out the Chiffon Hand Dyed Scarf on Artfulwears.com. It is defintely worth it! :)

12/11/2007 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you may know sequins and beading are TOTALLY IN STYLE this season. However, it has come to my attention that a little guidance on how to wear this trend might be necessary.

First of all, red sequins are unlikely to ever be aa good thing. I had the misfortune of seeing two women wearing red sequin tops last night, which inspired me to write this piece.

Generally speaking, the sequins or beading should not be ALL OVER the garment, but rather in bits and pieces. Think of a camisole and just the front is beaded. The exception to this might be a mini-dress in black, gold, gray, or silver sequins. Neutral colored beading or sequins tend to look more sophisticated.

The sequin and bead trend is not only reserved for dressy attire, you can easily incorporate them into your night on the town wardrobe. We love a cute beaded or sequined top with a pair of great jeans.

While we can’t show you all the good and bad examples, we suggest asking yourself “does this look modern”? If you answer “no” to that question, leave it on the rack!

This top by Interlud is a perfect example of a modern and chic way of integrating beading. We hope you SPARKLE this holiday season without blinding anyone.for more info, check out www.artfulwears.com !

12/13/2007 12:27 AM  
Anonymous dining sets said...

I think I have seen many of your post. All of your design is good. I can say that you are a very talented fashion artist.

7/09/2010 9:02 PM  
Blogger jeje said...

pandora charms
nike air max
jordan 13
adidas ultra boost
adidas tubular x
adidas ultra boost
adidas ultra boost 3.0
nike huarache
kobe basketball shoes
yeezy

10/12/2017 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home