December 11, 2007

I Dream of a Lifestyle Involving Many Cocktail Dresses IV: 20's Style Bags

UK's high street stores have been pushing and selling a lot of 20's style this party season. Now for those living in the States, where retailers tend to sell clean-cut clothes, you might not really know how a modern 20's dress looks like.

Remember the dress Kate Moss wore to Fashion Rocks this year? Think of a short, non-volume mini-dress; think beads and drop-waist. The two featured above are the examples I like (from Kate Moss Top Shop and Oasis).

So along with these dresses, high street shops are selling 20's style bags. While these bags don't seem very modern, in my imagination of a fancy world, I imagine one could carry these in a very glamorous, stylish way. Think Mary-Kate Olsen. (Oh btw, I'm not an expert on fashion, so excuse me if I say or feature items from the wrong decades.)

One of the main features of 20's style bags are frame bags. The first one that caught my eye is this golden, embroidered one from the Kate Moss Top Shop collection. It's more casual than the other ones and so pretty. Plus, doesn't it look like I had to go through vintage stores to dig it up (minus the effort)?

Another feature of 20's style bags are beaded bags. One that caught my eye is this black beaded one, also from Kate Moss Top Shop. It's simple but with just enough pattern detail.

Warehouse has one which is a bit more fancy -lots of gems. Not really my style though.

Oasis also has a range of beaded bags. My friend just bought the one on the left in black. One good thing about these bags is that if matched right, they can be carried in 'usual' functions like to cocktails and even clubbing, or to more dresses-up functions, like weddings and dances.

Even though it's kind of plain, I would like to see this bronze pouch in real life. If it's big enough to be somewhat practical (although I suspect it's not), at 18 pounds, I might just buy it.

If these aren't fancy enough for you, how about this box-bag from Top Shop?

French Connection has this very interesting bottle-bag. The design is pretty unique, isn't it? (Plus, the photo of the model holding it shows that you can match these 20's bags with your very contemporary dresses.)

And if you're really into the whole dressing up thing, this feather hairband from Accessorize is a fantastic accessory to add onto your outfit. It's easy to wear and adds just the right amount of dressiness. Just make sure you don't put too many things together and wear the accessories to stuiable events.

Do you like this whole 20's style party clothes revival by the UK high street?

Image credits: www.oasis-store.com, www.topshop.com, www.asos.com, www.accessorize.com

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://expressfashion.com/products.jsp?category=Her&groupid=15

of course we in 'the states' know about this style; we don't live on a desert island, ya know

but anyway, this has got to be my least favorite style; i will be glad when it goes, it is hoped without a rerun of the 30s in its wake...

12/11/2007 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that stuff is pretty common in the US now, from what I've seen.

Love that first bag!

12/11/2007 1:45 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love these.
ahhh.. i just fell in love with the cutest bagss.<3
-lisa

12/11/2007 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the twenties. One of my favorite fashion eras. But you have to be thin thin thin to pull it off.

12/11/2007 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally like the 30's much better, I don't know why, just a little more classy, I agree though, you have to be thin to pull off an "older" style fashion trend.
totally off topic... but I just found out Alex Perry used to go to my school.. how awesome is that!!!

12/11/2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger edgeoftwenty said...

omg!
I don't believe this!
Thank you so much for your post of the bottle bag because it gave me a jolt! I remembered that I played dress up with one exactly like it (except it was silver) waaay back when - i think it fell into my hands when some relatives of mine were throwing out their old/out of fashion things

I have not seen it in years! now I'm on a mission to hunt it down!

12/11/2007 6:17 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

I LOVE the feathered headband! Great choices!

12/11/2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger Wendiva said...

i'm a firm believer that vintage will never be out of style. love the dresses & handbags.

12/11/2007 10:26 PM  
Blogger Bouncing Evil Ginner said...

I can only approve (see my latest blog post....). Some of those bags are really cute, I love the black beaded one with the central handle

12/12/2007 12:33 AM  
Blogger Suzanna Mars said...

These are darling pieces, and I'm not sure the stateside interpretation is as on point. No matter, this is a great round-up of pieces that would look good anywhere.

12/12/2007 3:07 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Maldonado said...

that little white dress is exactly what I am looking for for New Year's Eve! I need to get my hands on it. It's perfect. Nice selection of photos here. Fashion a la mode Blog

12/12/2007 5:12 AM  
Blogger alis said...

haha i saw that feathered headband at the store and had to stop myself from buying it for play!

hey what kind of stockings/tights would go with these dresses?

12/12/2007 5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not really sure why you are led to believe that we "Yanks" don't know about the 20's...

But I have to say that those bags are vintage-tastic.

12/12/2007 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the headband!
i love gossip girl too..the clothes are amazing...especially blair (or maybe that's just my style...)..could you maybe do a feature on the outfits worn in the show?
thanks!
love your blog.

TG

12/12/2007 10:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found an original gold 'bottle bag' in a thrift shop last year. I love it!

12/12/2007 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you may know sequins and beading are TOTALLY IN STYLE this season. However, it has come to my attention that a little guidance on how to wear this trend might be necessary.. check out this great blog from expert stylist Amy from www.artfulwears.com !!

First of all, red sequins are unlikely to ever be aa good thing. I had the misfortune of seeing two women wearing red sequin tops last night, which inspired me to write this piece.

Generally speaking, the sequins or beading should not be ALL OVER the garment, but rather in bits and pieces. Think of a camisole and just the front is beaded. The exception to this might be a mini-dress in black, gold, gray, or silver sequins. Neutral colored beading or sequins tend to look more sophisticated.

The sequin and bead trend is not only reserved for dressy attire, you can easily incorporate them into your night on the town wardrobe. We love a cute beaded or sequined top with a pair of great jeans.

While we can’t show you all the good and bad examples, we suggest asking yourself “does this look modern”? If you answer “no” to that question, leave it on the rack!

This top by Interlud is a perfect example of a modern and chic way of integrating beading. We hope you SPARKLE this holiday season without blinding anyone.

12/13/2007 12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished reading The Sun Also Rises and The Great Gatsby. Two quintiesential modernist novels so of course I'm obsessed with the twenties look right now. It's very dressy but fun at the same time.

12/13/2007 8:18 AM  
Blogger Lola said...

im not entirely sure why you think that americans do not know what 20s style is or that we only wear 'clean cut' clothes. But aside from that, I just want to say I love the white dress you put up there : )

12/13/2007 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have always been a fan of iamfashion.

however, am not too sure about the feathered headband. or as we call them, 'fascinators'.

personally, i think they're more suited to a day at the races than a night out on the town.

12/14/2007 12:44 PM  
Blogger Anti Login said...

I love the twenties. One of my favorite fashion eras. But you have to be thin thin thin to pull it off.
Astaga.com lifestyle on the net

12/06/2009 4:25 PM  
Anonymous astaga.com lifestyle on the net said...

good style and design..

12/09/2009 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Wedding Cakes Pictures said...

Those two dresses are stunning!

Wedding cakes pictures

4/21/2010 1:56 PM  
Anonymous dining tables said...

I really love this blog. Every time I visit this blog I always found a new and very interesting post. This blog is one of the best blog that I ever saw.

7/26/2010 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Brandon said...

Thanks for your post, very useful information.
Glen Cove homes

12/07/2011 8:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

2015710dongdong
louis vuitton outlet
coco chanel
michael kors outlet online
gucci
true religion
michael kors
oakley sunglasses
jeremy scott adidas
oakley sunglasses wholesale
jordan 4s
ray ban sungalsses
gucci outlet
kobe shoes
chanel handbags
insanity workout dvd
cheap soccer shoes
polo ralph lauren
true religion
coach outlet
black timberland boots
ray ban outlet
cheap jordans
oakley sunglasses wholesale
oakley sunglasses
p90x workouts
true religion outlet
true religion outlet
christian louboutin sale
michael kors outlet online
adidas outlet store
jordan 3
pandora jewelry
cheap ray bans
sac longchamp
tods shoes

7/10/2015 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Check Cashing San-diego said...

One payday advance choice that is regularly accessible is post-dating a check for the sum owed in addition to extra expenses for the date the advance is expected.

4/22/2017 2:55 PM  
Blogger jeje said...

yeezy boost
ultra boost
links of london sale
nike roshe run
moncler outlet
fitflops sale
golden goose sneakers
adidas superstar
longchamp
retro jordans

10/12/2017 4:40 PM  
Blogger kingrani said...

Shopclues Cashback offers
Shopclues Bank offers

10/24/2017 5:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

kyrie 4
adidas nmd runner
off white
http://www.kobebasketballshoes.us.com
kate spade handbags
vapormax
nike huarache
yeezy boost
moncler outlet
ferragamo belt

3/22/2018 11:30 AM  
Blogger jeje said...

vibram five fingers
true religion outlet
nike shoes for women
cheap jordans
super dry
mbt shoes
nike chaussure
canada goose jackets
pandora
coach outlet online

6/20/2018 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home