December 06, 2007

End of Quarter Shopping Spree!

In celebration of the end of our finals, my roomate and I treated ourselves to a shopping spree downtown and here is what we got:
I finally bought the Marc by Marc Jacobs mary janes. They were 30% off PLUS an additional 25%. Bargain!
I thought it would be perfect to match this season's cute dresses, like this one above from Aqua. Unfortunately I tried them on together and it seems that the strap does appear to cut my legs up...... maybe it takes getting used to? My mom thought it looks better worn than in a picture......Oh and isn't this dress super cute? I love the metallic and the simple style, perfect for the holiday season. Only thing is, the cutting is a bit awkward and makes me look pregnant and the hem bit at the bottom is a bit fragile.....
I also finally bought an oh-so-popular beret from Urban Outfitters. It was a tough choice between a good head fit (the cable knit one) or a nice color (this black one with silver sparkles). As you can see, I decided on the nice color one. The cable knit one was brown.... Though now that I look at the pictures of myself throughout the day wearing this hat, I'm having second thoughts. Maybe the beret look too takes getting used to........
Then, there was this vibrant blue silk dress shirt from Barneys with the tie (I finally learnt how to tie a tie!!!). I imagine it would look hot with a high waisted pencil skirt and a pair of pointy black heels- unfortunately I have no occasion to wear such a hot office outfit to. So I was thinking of just casually with jeans. I love it. Only downside though is that it doesn't look very good in pictures because you can't really appreciate the details as well and it just looks like a bunch of stuff..... but its super cute in real life!
Attracted by the super cute window display we went into Express to check it out. On the rack this dress looked kind of slutty, but when worn it actually looks really nice (it also helps that I have no chest...). While in the store I did a mini survey with the corporate office ladies from Express and they gave me a $10 coupon. Then when I was checking out, this lovely lady next to me gave me one of her $25 off coupon (thanks again!). So in the end, the dress was half off! Score! I love it :) though my mom finds it a bit low cut... oh well, it'll be perfect for the holidays!
The other red dress I was considering was this one my friend has from BCBG. Isn't it SO darling? It fits perfectly (and modestly) on top, with the little tie on one side which is so cute. And the dress part is silky and shiny with a a bit of bubbling at the bottom. Two very similar yet very different dresses I know... but I love them both!
Oh and I thought I'll throw in this other dress my friend recently bought also from BCBG (yes, she loves BCBG). I believe HG talked about this some time ago. I just love how sophisticated and elegant it is.

Sigh, so I guess I have a lot of thinking to do tonight and a lot of returning to do tomorrow.... any thoughts on who stays and who goes?

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always enjoyed reading the fashion insights you provided here over the years, but...I seriously start to have doubts on your taste...what's with these metallic,cheap looking outfits??

12/07/2007 7:22 PM  
Blogger Imelda said...

That metallic dress and the beret are awesome!

12/07/2007 9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omgosh i've been eyeing that gorgeous red express dress for a long time, and am considering buying for an upcoming semi-formal event!
how does it fit? i am quite petite, do you think it will fit well on my frame? (i should go and try it on)
its fantastic how you got $35 off! SUCH a bargain!

12/07/2007 9:37 PM  
Blogger Fashion Tidbits said...

the red express dress is gorgeous, you should def keep that. i'm not sure about the beret but I think it'll look cuter once you put it on.

12/07/2007 10:04 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Very cute pieces! As far as what to return, I would say return what doesn't fit so well (the dress that you said fit awkardly) It is cute but if you're not too crazy about the fit then it will probably be something that will be hanging in your closet waiting to be worn

12/07/2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger Sebastian Perinotti said...

you should post pictures of u wearing the clothes:)

12/07/2007 11:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i think u made really good choices. but i'd prolly get rid of the one u said doesn't fit and maybe the beret... and then maybe exchange one of the red dresses for something else that fits you better.

12/07/2007 11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the beret! keep it (okay, i might be biased, i'm based in london and many peope wear lovely berets here...) and i love the red express dress! i would return the blue silk blouse, however... and the dress that does not fit well, there is no use in keeping something that doesnt fit no matter how beautiful it is!!!

btw, love your blog, please stay independent, i hate to have all these ads when i am reading other fashion blogs...

cheers, johanna

12/07/2007 11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love shopping and the latest fashions as much as any gal, but I saw this video and started wondering about all the stuff we buy. Is it worth it? Check it out for yourselves:
http://www.storyofstuff.com/

12/08/2007 12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Return the ill-fitting dress, I actually think the teal blouse WOULD look killer with a high waisted black skirt/heels, the beret I am indifferent to, love the red dress, love love love the final dress, The end. :)

12/08/2007 12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love love love your buys! especially the marc jacobs maryjanes, so cute! i would suggest you wear a belt with the aqua dress, so it'll give you a bit of shape instead of looking pregnant. like a cinch waste belt perhaps?

12/08/2007 1:40 AM  
Blogger Suzanna Mars said...

I like the metallic dress best, so long as its kept low key and not tarted up with more metal. It's hard to tell with the other two; they aren't at their best on hangers.

You have a point about the strap of the shoe cutting off the line of the leg. And yet, I see many woman wearing this successfully. Perhaps it is the legs that are at fault.

(I would also keep the beret. I've been wearing them for years, even when I got odd looks on the street.)

12/08/2007 2:48 AM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

i think it cuts off length when you've wear it with bare legs. try it with opaque tights. it might work.

12/08/2007 4:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah Mendelsohn said...

omg im so jelous, adorable clothes !

12/08/2007 5:07 AM  
Blogger Patent Shoes && Rants said...

Adorable dresses.

The beret look does take some time to get used too.

I love to wear mine when I'm going out for coffee, I feel so urban =)

xoxoxoxo

12/08/2007 5:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This website is pretty much my favorite fashion site. I love those shoes. I think my favorite dress was the second red one.

12/08/2007 12:04 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Lovely blog!!!
love the first red dress/top,amazing!!!want it too!and the last top....woow!do not find beautiful tops like that here in germany:((

12/08/2007 9:58 PM  
Blogger alis said...

i pretty much like everything, the metallic dress that you said is ill-fitting looks very cute on the picture, i say keep it unless it makes you look too pregnant, and pair it with black tights. the red strapless and the bcbg dresses or gorgeous. and the mary janes, as i had commented on your previous post, are just adorable. if you feel uncomfortable with wearing them with dresses, wear them with jeans, pants, because that pair is a keeper!

the only piece i'd return is the turquise blouse with a tie, but thats because i hate that color in cold weather,(i had received a ruffled satin blouse in a similar color and i never found an occasion to wear it) and i find wearing ties very awkwardly ridiculous, there was a girl when i was in college who kept wearing ties, and everybody thought it was "trying too hard".

12/09/2007 12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovin your buys and blog, such cute shoes!

p.s here is my blog, ive added u as one of my faves! http://couturecookiesandlipgloss.blogspot.com/ (safe link so dont worrY) its about fashion,cooking and make up.

12/09/2007 3:49 AM  
Blogger Wendiva said...

oh i LOVE all the dresses! I'm IN LOVE with one-piece dresses, they're the best, so easy, looks good, and accentuates your legs!! LUVS THEM!!

~wendiva
http://wendiva.blogspot.com

12/09/2007 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the cutest dress for the holidays that is ven prettier than these.. it's on this sit called www.artfulwears.com .. i swear it's not badly priced and manages to look like a million bucks!! this online boutique imports fab finds from all over the world and ships to anywhere too! i strongly suggest you ladies check it out!

12/13/2007 12:21 AM  
Anonymous Isiah said...

It will not succeed in reality, that's exactly what I think.
Ham recipes | impaired | Box cakes recipes | stock option | family room furniture

11/02/2011 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home