April 02, 2006

Book Reviews Update

As a little break from the surprisingly hard decision of which seasonal pair of shoes to buy -a decision which I have decided to procrastinate (but I did manage to snag a cute and practical Marc by Marc Jacobs skirt,) -I decided to study Stats and read some books.

I just realised that since I wrote my last book reviews, I forgot to actually update a proper opinion about The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. All I can say is that it was THE best book I have read last year -it was sweet, touching, romantic in a non-mushy way. I loved the weird concept of an illness that made the main male character time travel and how the characters handled themselves. I actually felt moved at the end of the book! (I usually never feel moved by anything.) I have already recommended it to all my friends who like reading, and have even given a copy out as a birthday present. So far my friends all really liked the book. The story maybe a bit confusing at first, but just read through it and it will make sense once you grasp the concept. So go buy and read!

OK back to books I read this year. I waited for The Undomestic Goddess by the oh-so-famous Sophie Kinsella, (her Shopaholic series is so famous that even guys who don't read chick lit have heard of it!) This chick-lit is basically about a super smart lawyer who makes a mistake at her high-power law firm, runs away to the countryside to be a maid and oh surprise surprise, ends up meeting a guy there.

I have to say I was quite disappointed in this book. I usually love chick lits, but this story was so... well, dumb that even I couldn't get into it. I mean, I understand that when people panic they run away, but the misunderstanding that landed the lawyer the job as a maid was just completely unbelievable. It totally contradicted the fact that she is supposed to be intelligent, logical, and thus should be somewhat coherent in letting the interviewing lady know that she was not applying to be a maid. Anyways, there's more but I'm not going to rant here.

So has anyone else read these two books? What did you think of them?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, what is the skirt like?

4/02/2006 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE 'Time Traveller's Wife'. I was moved by it too... It's difficult to find love stories that aren't mushy crap- this book is one of my favourites!

4/02/2006 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a coincidence! I just finished reading Time Traveller's wife before reading Undomestic Goddess (now). I absolutely love Time Traveller's wife, one of the best books I've read this year so far. It even made me cry lol...

4/02/2006 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love time traveller's wife too... it made me cry

4/02/2006 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate books with such a predictable end.

4/02/2006 7:13 PM  
Blogger This is Carrie said...

The Time Traveler's Wife is by far the best and most unique love story that I have ready so far. I have also given it as a gift for a number of friends.

4/03/2006 12:12 AM  
Blogger Harrods Girl said...

Anonymous No.1: The skirt is A-line with subtle flower prints.

The other Anonymous: Which book are you saying is predictable?

4/03/2006 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read the time travellers wife, which I loved but haven't read 'the Undomestic Goddess'. 'Can You Keep A Secret', also by Sophie Kinsella which is not part of the shopahilic series is really good, though also slightly unbeleivable.

4/03/2006 2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't mind Undomestic Goddess, but it was strange that this woman who was suppose to be super smart and "with it" simply ran away to become a maid. She would have had to be made of much tougher stuff to even get to where she was.

But it was cute chick lit I suppose when you don't think too much into it.

4/04/2006 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful effort

إني تذكـرت والذكرى مؤرقـة *مجـداً تلـيدا بأيـدينا أضعـناه

أنَّى اتجهتَ للإسـلام في بـلـدٍ * تجْده كالطيرِ مقصـوصًا جناحـاه

كـم صرفتنا يـدٌ كنـا نـصرفها * وبات يـملكنا شعب مـلكناه

بالله سل خلف بحر الروم عن عرب * بالأمس كانوا هنا واليوم قد تاهوا

وانزل دمشق وسائل صخر مسجدها * عمن بناه لعل الـصخر ينعـاه

هذى معـالم خرس كـل واحـدة * منهن قامت خطيبـا فاغرا فـاه

الله يعلم ما قلبت سـيرتهم يومـا * وأخطـأ دمـع الـعين مـجراه

يا من يرى عمـراتكسوه بردته * الزيت أدمٌ لـه والكـوخ مـأواه

يهتز كسـرى على كرسيه فرقـا * من خوفه ، وملوك الروم تخشـاه

يا رب فابعث لنا من مثلهم نفـرا * يشـيدون لـنا مـجدا أضعنـاه

7/05/2009 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home