May 16, 2006

SS06 Fashion Trend: Empire Waist Tops

Even though I know and write about all these SS06 trends, let's face it, I'm a student and really don't have the time nor money to actually wear these trends everyday. Thanks to Fendi, one of the trends this season is wearing belts over your top/ jacket: But honestly, it's so hard to wear belts without it crinkling your top, and who really has time to put on a belt when you need to be in class in five minutes? So the way to do this trend is to wear casual emprire waist tops. They're easy to wear and most importantly, flattering to most body types.

I bought this Marc by Marc Jacob top a month ago and having been loving it since then. It's so pretty and terrific for livening up an outfit. I usually wear a yellowy beige blazer over it and match with black pants.

Another very similar top by Marc by Marc Jacob (except it's sleeveless.) Marc really knows how to use details and what girls love.

By Ella Moss. This top is even more simple than the Marc tops. The only thing is you would probably need a long body for this top to work.

By LOVE by Ya-Ya. Available in other colors too and available at shopbop.com. This is slightly low-cut for a casual day but it's just so nicely cut and you could def wear it again next summer.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Another similar top from shopbop.com by Velvet.

This jungle print top is by Banana Republic. I don't like the prints but that's just personal taste.

Cotton top by Urban Outfitters. This is more doll-like than empire waist, but it gives a similar figure-flattering effect (and it's probably the cheapest option!)

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont you think guys this top makes girl looking little hmmm pregnant?:)

5/16/2006 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

must disagree. anyone can pull off the ella moss top, not just those with longer bodies. it's all about how you mix it with other pieces.

5/16/2006 11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would love to see a picture of you in the marc jacob's top.

5/16/2006 11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^Me too!

Would you mind posting what site you got the MJ tops pics from? Is it shopbop? Thanksss.

5/17/2006 3:27 AM  
Blogger Harrods Girl said...

Sorry, I don't have photos of myself in the MJ top. The MJ top photos were taken from Saks' website, but I think Neiman Marcus' website also has similar ones.

5/17/2006 5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just wondering if you could do a blog on hair styles for long hair (quick, casual, and the all out), especially with the summer coming and everything. Thanks!!

5/17/2006 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS LOOK

5/17/2006 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have to agree with kotiks -- these tops can look VERY preggy on some people.. even the model for the Ella Moss top doesnt look attractive

5/17/2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger The Tooth Fairy said...

I love such tops! Have tons of these.

Initially I was also concerned about looking pregnant, but those fears are definitely unfounded. You can wear these tops on good days and bad ones. They actually make you look slimmer even when you feel a little bloated. And best outfits for pigging out at buffets. What's better? You can even wear them when you actually ARE pregnant.. well.. the first trimester, at least :)

5/17/2006 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a different problem with belts over jackets... I have a tendancy to take jackets on and off, and this makes a belt a little awkard at times! Especially if there are no belt loops...

But anyway, I love the empire-line tops - they can look so cute, and are really versatile!

5/17/2006 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm...i think this style can go both wrong and gorgeous (but mostly it is flattering any body type).
I loooveee the last picture (the one from UO). I think the colour is perfect and it will look perfect for everyone.

I agree with tania, wearing belt over jacket is such a big problem for me, and I dont think it is comfortable either.

keep bloggin'

5/17/2006 3:07 PM  
Blogger Johanna Wallin said...

I love your blog. Pleace watch out mine.

5/17/2006 3:18 PM  
Blogger Shopaholic D said...

My favorite part about these tops is how comfortable they are. I'm so glad people aren't all about skin-tight tops any more!

5/17/2006 11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I figured this style out. I guess it only took 18 months :-p

Anyhow, from what I can tell, a woman with a poor self-image (every American?) thinks empire waists are perfect for hiding how fat she is. Maybe this will scare some of you into not wearing those clothes: Whenever I see someone in an empire waist, the first thing I think is, "I can't tell whether or not she's pregnant."

2/27/2008 1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the blog. Keep up the good work

3/04/2008 11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The empire waist is a bad idea- it just covers up the most important curve of all- the waist! Research shows that one of the first things men notice is the hip/waist ratio...so covering up the waistline is very unsexy to men! Who wants to be unsexy? Also, if you happen to be an hourglass shape, or if you simply have large hips, this style will make you look 10x fatter. It only seems to work on stick-thin models who don't have hips or boobs, which means that 99% of the female population looks like they're expecting when they wear this look. Some designs even manage to make the stick-thin models look fat! Clothes should FLATTER the female figure, not cover it up or make it look even FATTER!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!! I'm so sick of not being able to buy any new clothes because EVERYTHING is empire waist! When will it end?????

8/23/2008 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Jose said...

I love your blog. Please check out mine.
http://shtarticles.blogspot.com/

9/21/2009 12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astaga.com lifestyle on the net

12/13/2009 1:15 AM  
Blogger marko said...

The most vital advantage of managing your advance with a loaning organization is that they work with individuals with poor credit over and over, and don't reject a terrible credit advance application. check cashing

3/12/2017 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home