March 27, 2007

Chloe's Bay Bag

Months ago, BG wrote about Chloe's SS07 bags. Back then, I wasn't yet into anything SS07 nor have I seen any of the bags so I didn't pay too much attention to them. Now that we're starting SS07, I'm very into all bags SS07.
When Chloe's Bay bag arrived at net-a-porter.com, I stared at it for awhile and it grew on me. It's practical, girly and chic. Plus it's by Chloe, which usually means the leather is gorgeous. There are two versions, the first one is this quilted version, which is more lady-like and sophisticated.
The second version here is a bit more androgynous but equally chic.
Then as expected, we started seeing it carried by celebs. Mischa Barton totally had me convinced that the Bay is gorgeous and fab for all ages. I mean seriously, doesn't it look so cool on her?
But then Britney Spears started carrying it last week and honestly, it really doesn't look good on her. It's probably also because I don't associate her with good taste, (although I admittingly still love some of her old songs.)

But of course, as a fashion-lover, I'm certainly not basing my love/hate decision on photos of Mischa and Britney so I checked it out at Lane Crawford (a HK department store) yesterday and well, the bag was definitely bigger, and the material odder than I imagined it. What I mean is, the leather didn't seem like the usual soft Chloe leather; the leather seemed a bit thin and crinkled in an ugly way (unlike the beautiful crinkleness on Balenciaga bags.)

So the truth is, I'm a bit disappointed. My almost-non-existant optimistic side tells me that maybe, it just happens that those Bay bags I saw were over-tried-on by customers, or maybe it's just the lighting, so I'm going to look out for them again next time I go shopping. Maybe they will look better.
Photo of bags from net-a-porter.com

20 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

I have this bag and L-O-V-E it! I don't have the quilted version since I have a MJ venitian quilted. The leather is amazing and it carries everything! It's totally take the place of the MJ bag.

3/27/2007 3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually looked at these two bags back in HK as well. I actually didn't like the quilted one, because I thought it was really heavy, bulky and didn't go very well on the shoulders. I liked the unquilted one in a shopping bag style thats larger(not shown here)better. The leather was softer.

3/27/2007 6:03 AM  
Blogger alluretone said...

i lovveee the black one! so gorgeous, but i would choose a balenciaga bag over a chloe bag anyday.

3/27/2007 10:36 AM  
Blogger Overpriced Designer Man Bag said...

i guess it beats the gross chloe betty...

i agree - balenciaga > chloe

3/27/2007 12:17 PM  
Blogger Harrods Girl said...

So I went back today to look at the Bay. After I took all the paper stuffings out and toted it around, it really looks prettier now!

3/27/2007 5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw it too and think it's quite nice but far too big for me... So I went for the new small Paddington, small, white and gold, love it! ;-)

3/27/2007 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi girls! Can U pls help me? I'm trying to find a spanish fashion designer I've heard of, called "lurdes ferrer" or similar. I've seen one of her designs weared and it was gorgeous! As far as I know, she doesn´t sell in shops. It's a kind of "private designer" and each custom is unique, so it's getting me mad fnding a way to access to her clothes... Do anyone have a clue? Pls, in case U know anything, let me know by email: dcarrasco@gmail.com. thks a million!!

3/28/2007 12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the bags are cute and all, but i don't think they have the longevity of a chanel or hermes bag. i think they are more trendy/bag of the moment, than they are classic.

personally, id rather invest in a classic bag than something that will be out of style in a few seasons.

however, the black one on mischa is pretty adorable. would like to see it in person to suss it out though!

3/28/2007 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh it's too conventional. too obvious... too misha barton! methinks a bit of grunge is necessary!xxx

3/30/2007 2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, does anybody know witch is the size of the quilted bay that Mischa Barton is carrying? Do you know if it can be carried in the shoulder?
Thank you so much for your help!

4/02/2007 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love this bag. Just got it as a present gorgous in the red/brown color, I think it's pretty classic vintage inspired, so I don't think it will go out of style soon (at least I hope not), fits perfectly on my shoulder.
P.S. I think that balenciaga bags are overexposed

4/05/2007 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mischa is carrying the large version - it's about 16" wide. The straps are just long enough to carry it over your shoulder!

4/13/2007 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought the black Bay bag (non-quilted), and LOVE IT! I agree w/ anonymous that Balenciaga's way overexposed. The Bay's vintage styling and low-key branding (tiny, tiny logo) make it classy and soigné, yet unpretentiously bobo (as opposed to boho). Britney S botwithstanding, it's a woman's, not a girl's, bag. I went into Holt's looking to buy a Marc Jacobs Carolyn bag but got this instead. The MJ bag was really weird--the "is-this-gonna-rip?" quilted leather reminded me of a cheap backpack I had when I was 12.

4/16/2007 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

26 Mar 2007 by Harrods Girl
My almost-non-existant optimistic side tells me that maybe, it just happens that those Bay bags I saw were over-tried-on by customers, or maybe it's just the lighting, so I'm going to look out for them again next time I go shopping. Insulated cooler bag

4/20/2007 1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made the mistake of trying on this bag at Neimans. Originally I was in love with the quilted version, however the unquilted elephant grey version is absolutely beautiful. My sister pointed out that its the same price as a couch. Its worth it.

9/11/2007 5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found it on www.designerdrops.com

9/10/2008 4:16 PM  
Blogger popular.style said...

Chloe handbags are such gorgeous and are really fit for all ages although it does not really fit on anyone

9/12/2008 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Lots in Samara Costa Rica said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica

6/11/2010 10:30 PM  
Blogger kim11 said...

Replica Bags
In a global world, fashion is one of the choices of women. Fashion has become a feature in today’s global world.
Some features of the global women in fashion among others:
1. You travel in style
2. You comply with the applicable rules in force throughout the world.
3. Your relaxation session accompanied by the smell of morning dew [...]

Replica Bags

10/03/2010 6:10 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

nike huarache
kobe byrant shoes
adidas iniki
curry 4 shoes
christian louboutin
air max 270
nike basketball shoes
true religion
pure boost
michael kors outlet online

5/22/2018 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home