May 11, 2007

MET Fashion I- Poiret: King of Fashion

It was the annual Costume Institute Benefit gala at the Met again this monday. This year, the theme is in honor of Paul Poiret and his designs as the "King of Fashion," which focused on draping rather than tailoring a dress. As usual, everyone dressed to impress and indeed, in most cases, we were impressed.

I'm usually all for classic elegance, but surprisingly in this event, it was the vibrant, adventurous and unique looks that caught my attention. My three favourites, were Cameron Diaz, Kirsten Dunst and Lucy Liu. This fuschia Dior by John Galliano dress Cameron Diaz is wearing is just so vibrant, young and striking. The simple top strikes the perfect balance with her flowing tiered skirts. And the blue contrasting necklace with the simple strapless neckline showed off by her simple upswept hair is just genius!

Slightly more sophisticated in a dark purple dress by Zac Posen, Lucy Liu looks equally as gorgeous. I love how the deep color compliments her complexion and how the dress is simple yet complex at the same time, with its simple cutting and exquisite details on the neckline, waist and of course, the flowing train like purple waves flowing around her. And as usual, Zac looks fab too.

This dress on Kirsten Dunst was quite adventurous for the red carpet and in my opinion, definitely paid off. She looks refreshing and cute in this gracefully flowing deep blue YSL dress. Finally, something besides the usual form fitted red carpet dresses on everyone else. And the black rosette on her head that matches the rosette on her shoe is just sooo adorable!

Another cute and unique dress is this gold number on Kate Bosworth by Prada. The loose cutting, the incredible folding of the skirt and the shiny material makes it both fun yet formal.

Another cute short dress, this one on Eva Mendes is by Michael Kors. In a more classic cut and style, this dress is fun yet ladylike with its fitted cutting, belt and brocade like material.

This dress on Winona Ryder by Marc Jacobs is not exactly one of my favourite dresses, as it doesn't look very flattering and in fact looks kind of heavy. But I thought the contrasting velvet and silk material and the silk neckline draping puts a very interesting twist to the usual black dress.

Feather seems to be everywhere these days- and I'm not very fond of that fact. But I thought Peter Som did the feather thing rather well here with this dress on Joely Richardson. The feathers are subtle and anchored with a strong black bow, so it doesn't look like its spurting out of nowhere.

Can Mischa do no wrong when it comes to fashion? As usual, she looks elegant and pretty in this by Giambattista Valli. The pattern on the bodice and the subtly unique draping of the skirts is beautiful. Although is less more or would she benefit more with a pair of simple diamond earrings with this dress?

This flowing dress on model, Molly Sims, is another one of my favourites. The flowing drapes and details is just soo feminine and pretty and yet the cutting and style of the dress still shines through.

Zhang Ziyi looks striking and cute in this black and white poofy dress. I don't know who its by, but I'll venture to guess that its by Armani. I think the fitted bodice and the strongly contrasting colors balances and gives sophistication to this dress and prevents it from looking completely like a cute candy wrap.

And speaking of striking, Jennifer Garner's red hot Valentino dress is definitely that. The simple but intriguing cut of the bodice and the expert draping of the skirts makes it especially so.

Claudia Schiffer's shiny silver dress also caught my eye with its reflecting material and the intriguing texture of teh skirts.

Moving onto the more classic and elegant dresses of the evening, we have this sequins dress on Alicia Keyes. I'm not sure, but I am guessing that this is from the Armani Prive collection. It looks gorgeous and typically red carpet. Although the loose curly hair here is definitely a not a good match. Upswept hair and drop earrings seems more appropriate.
Ellen Pompei in a simple elegant sparkly dress. Although is she too skinny or something? The proportions seems a bit off in this picture.

And really, one can't go wrong with a pretty black dress. Especially when they're from Ralph Lauren (as I'm assuming that is indeed what Lauren Bush is wearing here....especially since she's here with David Lauren).

Another one of my favourite dresses is this black dress on Kate Moss, especially since I know I actually have a chance of being able to afford it since its from the Top Shop Kate Moss collection. Brilliant marketing skills here Kate! And as usual she looks gorgeous, matching the dress perfectly with upswept hair and dangly earrings.

30 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Fashion said...

You said "feathers seem to be everywhere" and you're so right: there's a clump under Peter Som's foot in the Joely pic!!
Mrs F x

5/11/2007 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate Moss is the ONLY one who looks halfway elegant. I am so sick of strapless "gowns" I could scream. Face it, they look horrible on most people. The one on Ellen Pompei looks like IT IS BEING PULLED OFF !!! I think she is having a wardrobe malfunction. I will be so relieved if women ever get back to having TASTE. No wonder we often aren't respected. Look at what women wear! Crazy tacky outfits that are falling off and tastelessly showing private areas. Now look at the men in their tuxes and suits. Who looks more serious, respectable, and dare I say, attractive? If you want respect ladies, dress like it.

5/11/2007 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww...I like dresses. Why can't we all have a little fun with our fashion? That's what it's for! We have to be careful not to make fashion seem too serious and uptight and have some fun in our lives! On another note, I recognize Zhang Ziyi's dress from the Marchesa fall collection! I'm impressed she managed to pull it off; when I saw it on the runway, I liked it but wondered how anyone could wear it. But it has such a cool incorporation of the black tux jacket into the poufy white dress!

5/11/2007 9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only hope that the second comment is a joke. Even if they were revealing too much, how does that make you less worthy of respect? How old are you and what oppressive environment has made you think this way? I think that your opinion would fit well with some religious extremist views and know that, unfortunately, you aren't alone out there. I think that the dresses were well chosen and really love the one on Cameron Diaz. It's daring.

5/11/2007 10:41 PM  
Blogger Tammie said...

Ugh. I can't stand Kristen's dress. It's a big bag with some tulle on top. That guy she's with looks horrible too...

Boy there were a lot of strapless dresses at this event! Ellen Pompei is too skinny in general - but especially for this strapless dress.

On the other hand, I loved Kate Bosworth's outfit. Mischa's looks good too.

5/11/2007 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate looks amazing and Ellen Pompei is far too skinny yet she still looks beautiful.

5/11/2007 11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiered dresses seem to be 'in' at the mo...

Song Hye Kyo wore a pretty one for the HK film awards:

http://gallery.asianfanatics.net/index.php?act=image&pid=295104

5/11/2007 11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't post Camilla Belle's Gaultier Couture gown. She was glorious. I didn't like any of the other dresses. Cameron's jewellery looks cheap, Lucy's train looks like it was tacked on as an afterthought, and any dress that makes you look nine months pregnant when you aren't even expecting belongs in the trash (Kirsten!).

All the rest were a complete snore. We've seen Molly Sims' dress before - on Kyra Sedgwick at the '06 Emmys, and I was shocked to see Mischa and Kate Moss looking so boring (although I do like Kate's hair & earrings).

5/11/2007 11:36 PM  
Blogger Marianna Valente said...

I LOVED Cameron Diaz!!!!

5/12/2007 12:23 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

don't hate on the strokes

5/12/2007 2:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cameron looks like a doll all of these girl are gorgeous

spinoffstyle.blogspot.com

5/12/2007 2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason Ellen Pompeo looks silly is that her dress is cling on for dear life to her bobos, whether intential or not. I don't like it on her, but it doesn't look bad because she is skinny. She is just petit; besides, she is 5'5,'' it isn't like shes an overwhelmingly tall sticklet like kate moss (HATE HATE HATE!). I am about Ellen's size, though a little more straight-figured, and i hate when people say she is too skinny or anorexic because ppl say the same to me and it isnt true.

5/12/2007 3:38 AM  
Blogger The Spicers said...

anon 8:38-
Kate Moss isn't exactly "an overwhelmingly tall sticklet" at 5'7" and is no skinnier than Ellen Pompeo. I don't think either of them are TOO skinny, but Ellen's dress is ill-fitting.

5/12/2007 3:50 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

1st things 1st. I hated kirtsen's dress. ugh! Black and blue is a really hard colour combination to pull off.

Alicia's dress is not a flattering colour on her either.

Ellen's dress makes her look very broad shouldered. Something that I have a problem with. I am "stick" thin and am very conscientious of them. Is there any way to camouflage them so I don't walk around looking like a line backer?

Kate looks boring but I love her style usually.I must say that nothing stole my heart out of all those dresses. Most of them seemed kinda boring (like Mischa's dress... even though she looked great)

5/12/2007 5:37 AM  
Blogger To The Max said...

Cameron is the ultimate style icon - she is always true to herself and is without doubt the best dressed celeb - tooooo good for Justin!!

5/12/2007 5:40 AM  
Blogger Geisha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5/12/2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger Geisha said...

I just adored Kate's dress! It really is spectacular! I don't know why everybody has something negative to say about all the dresses...I liked them all! The only one I didn't exactly love was Claudia Schiffer's dress, and she STILL looked good. Anyways, great post!

5/12/2007 6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with you on Kirsten's dress, it's so unflattering.... argh. Zhang Ziyi: daring but she pulls it off very well! And don't get me started on Ellen Pompei *shivers*

Cameron Diaz's accessories look cheap

5/12/2007 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

purple dress with turquoise acessories? it's been done before--

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f354/thechebella/sjp.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f354/thechebella/Marcia-Cross-107-1.jpg

5/12/2007 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey:)
check ou tmy post on the MET event,
http://www.rocketrend.wordpress.com
hope you like it too:)

5/12/2007 11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Kate Bosworth looked absolutely gorgeous.

5/13/2007 1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, but I must respectfully disagree with you on a few points:
Mischa's dress looks ill-fitting and unflattering. Also, whenever I see pictures of it I get the creepy and overwhelming urge to call an exterminator about the termite infestation on her bodice.
To me, Kate was the biggest disappointment of the night. She is normally spot on with her formal wear, but she wasted the opportunity to wear something daring and avantgarde at the most fashion celebrated event of the year. Instead she squandered the chance on self-promotion and wore a ho-hum dress of her own design.
Finally, I can't believe you didn't skewer Jessica Simpson on her gaudy choice of dresses. What was she thinking??

5/13/2007 4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^Oh my god, I forgot about the catastrophe that was Jessica Simpson. My eyes almost started bleeding after I saw her picture.

5/13/2007 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen Pompeo's dress looks to be sliding off of her non-existant breasts.

5/13/2007 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the ones i liked most are ziyi zhang and jennifer garner's dresses, although i'm not a big fan of their style. they were both experimental without being ridiculous, the dresses are flattering to them. (kirsten dunst should take notes, she looks u-g-l-y with that shiny purple sag and weird huge flower and dirty-booted-greasy-haired-guy!!
all the other dresses are so-so..imagine if you had 1 chance to go to a red-carpet event..which one would i wear? neither..(except jennifer garner and ziyi zhang's dresses)

5/13/2007 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loooooved Cameron Diaz's outfit, even if its been done before, it looks fab on her. I also really liked what Jennifer Garner and Mischa Barton were wearing. Ziyi Zhang looked nice too, it's just not my style.

However, I really hated what Kirsten Dunst was wearing. I think that with Kiks it either a hit or a miss, every time.

And Ellen Pompeo needs to pull up her dress and/or get it tailored.

5/13/2007 9:16 PM  
Blogger sopink said...

mm zhang ziyi, jennifer garner, and kirsten were my favorite.

i usually love how kate bosworth dresses, but i thought the dress looked like it didnt fit right, maybe the picture? eva mendes while it was a cute dress was kind of boring. i can barely see the design on kate moss since its all black, but she usually does casual yet somehow high fashion best anyhow.

5/14/2007 10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out more dresses at whowhatweardaily.com

5/15/2007 4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the Zhang ziyi one,it's Marchesa,not Armani,see ur blog posted on 07 Feb 2007,New York FW07 fashion week wrapup II

5/15/2007 7:24 AM  
Blogger The Curio Keeper said...

The jewelry Cameron Diaz is wearing seems cheap-looking to me and rather too...chunky and garish for her dress. I love Lucy Liu's outfit and especially that perfect shade of purple. Kirsten Dunst's outfit is my theoretical favourite but I think it would have looked much more appropriate several decades ago. Everyone else is so underwhelming that it's refreshing to see her in such an interesting and adventurous get-up.

5/15/2007 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home