January 31, 2008

Lancome: L.U.C.I

The other day I walked passed the Lancome counter and caught a glimpse of their new SS08 collection. Intrigued by the pretty shell packaging and vibrant colors, I booked an appointment to try out the new collection the very next day!
The theme of this SS08 collection by Gucci Westman is L.U.C.I, Luminescent Colorless Color Intelligence (And yes, I am aware that Colorless starts with a C and not a U. *shrugs* Maybe its a french thing?). The idea is to have a collection of colorless shimmery make-up that changes color all the time adjusting to different skin tones and the reflections of light. Doesn't that concept sound so awesome???
To begin with, the make-up artist did the whole usual cleaning, moisturizer, toner, pore minimizer (it is such a Lancome thing!) routine with me. Then she introduced me to their new make-up primer, La Base, which she applied to my face/nose (to fill in the pores) and under my EYES! Apparently, this is a special oil free formula that is even suitable as a eye primer! I'm not sure I follow the logic of oil free --> suitable for eye thing, but I LOVE the idea of undereye primer. It is SO annoying when the skin there is dry/flaky (even my eye cream has been applied!) and thus looks AWFUL when you apply concealer there. This product is genius. And it might be my imagination or the foundation, but I felt that my pores did look smaller. After all that base, foundation and concealer, she finished off the face with the Photonic Illuminating Powder, which is just loose powder with the sparkly light reflection stuff that is suppose to help highlight and sculpt your features. I really didn't feel the difference.
Moving on we had the eye make-up, where I daresay is where the whole luminescent thing should be at it's best. One of my favourite products out of the whole collection is the Illuminator, which is basically cream eye shadows. that goes on clear but reflects color when light hits it. How totally awesome is that??? I LOVE it. I got the "ray of pink light" shade. You can also use it as a base before you apply powder, but personally I think the powder would just mask the effect. If you get the more neutral apricot shade, you can also use it to highlight your features. After all, it DOES say it is an illuminator for the eyes and face.

The other eye make-up product is the eye shadow palette in the pretty white shell shaped box, the L.U.C.I EYES light color in motion duo eye shadows. I was really excited about it. I love eye shadow palettes and the colors looked so vibrant! The white shade that comes with the color is not simply a typical highlighting color, but it is a photonic eye shadow that changes color when light hits it. You can use it for highlighting or blend it with the color to create a third shade! The lady did a combination of ray of green and ray of purple (which is really quite blue) for me and let me say, the colors go on VERY sharply. Unfortunately for me what looked soo pretty in the palette did not go so well with me.... it was so overdramatic that it bordered on tacky on me. Maybe I am just unused to it? I mean, vibrant colors looked SO well on the models! Or could it be that Asian complexion doesn't go well with greens/blues? Well, in the end, as much as I LOVE eye shadow palettes, I had to pass on these ones. And a good thing too. I met up with 3 of my friends after and they were all totally horrified to see me as such!
To complete my eyes, she applied the Courbe Virtuose mascara on me (after the mascara booster of course). This one is suppose to make the lash curve and give divine length, but to me it just felt like any old Lancome mascara for me.... like Hypnose. Another thing I LOVE about this collection is the lip stuff. Even though the packaging is a bit bulky, I really like the Color Fever Shine (left). Especially since they came out with THE perfect ice pale pink color (Pink Flora) that I've been dreaming about. I love it. It applies quite smoothly too. They also have a collection of photonic Color Fever Gloss (right). They have this nice sheer shade that gives the perfect shine by itself and over lipstick. But one must be careful with these lip colors though. They have these two shades that are completely white that are loaded with photonic stuff that when you put it on your lips, it becomes a scary glowing alien color- not good.

Over all, I like the concept of the luminescent thing and subtly it works. But I reserve judgment on the super vibrant colors and the photonic overloaded lip stuff- thats just a little too much for me!

Phew~ well that was a lengthy review of a make-up collection. Kudos for finish reading it!

Image Source: Lancome

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's L.U. for LUminescent, the C for both Colorless and Color and the I for Intelligence ("luce" in Italian is "light"). I should try Lancôme sometime, I am French after all!

1/30/2008 11:30 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

My first real make-up palette was from Lancome -- my mommy surprised me after a business trip. Ever since then, I've always thought highly of the brand.

1/31/2008 12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or it could be that the models are airbrushed and the color is fixed to perfection on photoshop, so no one would ever be able to achieve that in real life.

1/31/2008 4:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You've never understood oil free products?

Maybe I read that wrong. But it's for people like me with really oily skin. Keeps them from breaking out.

<3 Knikki

1/31/2008 6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo that stuff is really good. I used the purple at a nearby mally and i lokked well much different. The ice pink lip stuff id fab though

1/31/2008 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sry spelling mistakes

1/31/2008 6:27 AM  
Blogger alis said...

actually the first thing I ask when I'm buying make-up is whether it is oil-free or not, as I'm forbidden by my dermatologist to ever use oily make-up.
Anyways, this is a great review barnerys girl, thanks for posting it! about the blue eye shadow, I have brown eyes and blue never seems to work for me either...

1/31/2008 11:57 PM  
Blogger alien man?! said...

not sure what you meant by the oil-free thing, either, lol. everything i buy has to be oil-free, including moisturizer, b/c i'm acne prone.

this IS an interesting concept, the colorless color theme... sounds a bit gimmicky but, nonetheless, interesting. i'll have to give it a try

most dept store MUs are pretty lousy at applying makeup on Asians in general, even some of the Asian MUs (btw, I've been a lurker at your blog for over a year now and I ever knew u were a fellow asian, lol)

hm... i'll def. have to look into this new lancome stuff

thanks for the in-depth review

2/04/2008 1:21 PM  
Blogger kokostiletto said...

i love lancome! this sounds so interesting!!

2/04/2008 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try getting hold of the nw white lipstick.
Unavailable everywhere

2/10/2008 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feeling Guilty
Women everywhere are occasionally told by their loved ones to “go out and splurge”. A woman’s

natural instincts, however, is to nurture and protect her family and those close to her, so many

mothers wind up not spending any money on themselves because they feel guilty whenever they do.

And, lets face it, what is the joy of spending money on yourself when you have to worry about

feeling guilty afterwards? If handbags are your thing, you can easily buy yourself a little

treat without having to feel guilty when you look to exact replica designer handbags.

Exact replica designer handbags, like the Fendi Crossword Bag, are extremely affordable while

still being beautiful and enviable by all of your friends. The Fendi Crossword bag is coted with

canvas and has patent leather trim netting. The flat net handles are made with more patent

leather, to tie it all together, and there is a removable double-F logo leather tag. The inside

is lined with satin and there are two interior pockets as well. If you’re looking for a way to

treat yourself without having to feel guilty about the purchase, exact replica designer handbags

may be just what you are looking for.http://www.ereplicasupplier.com/

8/02/2008 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Just a passer-by... La Base looks very interesting! I was just wondering what foundation did the make up artist use on you?

8/19/2008 1:40 PM  
Anonymous astaga.com lifestyle on the net said...

your blog very best content about fashion....I love..
Astaga.com lifestyle on the net

12/13/2009 3:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The new SISTERS
formats are getting plenty of press, mind you, but with the Toshiba flop and lack of software. This is thanks to the use of a Panasonic SISTERS DVD
recorder. A SISTERS DVD COLLECTION
is comprised of one or more video title sets.

The average price of genuine Breitling
is around $5,000. If you are a person who wants to possess a Breitling Windrider
with limited budget. Bentley 6.75
can be yours at a fraction of the price of the original. The Bentley Motors
developed in 1952 has an operational navigation computer.


Today, Hogan scarpe
is the largest company in the world producing the sports products. it is advisable to pick Hogan scarpe donna
. I’m not just simply raving about every skyscraping but hogan donna
. I'm totally in love with the fabulous sporty shoes like Hogan scarpe uomo

7/15/2010 1:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a beautiful post, the pics are splendid. cool designer fashion accessories !!

4/28/2011 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Denis said...

Thank you for this post, really worthwhile data.
top court martial lawyer | wedding programs | Refinancing A Car | photography background | online mba programs

11/02/2011 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Merry said...

iCloud login
iCloud login
iCLoud Sign in
iCloud email login
Sign in to iCloud
iCloud login
iCloud Email Login

10/12/2018 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Merry said...

iCloud email login
iCloud for Windows
iCloud Login
iCloud email login
iCloud for Windows
iCLoud Email Login

10/12/2018 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Merry said...

Apple ID Login
iCloud Login Guide
iCloud Login
iCloud Login
iCloud Email sign in
iCloud Sign in
iCloud Login

10/12/2018 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home