April 10, 2007

SS07 Trend: Bell Sleeves

Ever since seeing them done oh-so-prettily at the Burberry Prorsum show I've been in love with the bell sleeves.

They just so perfectly compliment the rounded collars, adding the perfect feminine, girly touch to their staple trench.

I love it so much that this spring break, I had to get my own (more affordable) version of the bell-sleeved trench, from a small boutique in HK. Loosely fitted apparel are not usually my thing, but I am definitely coming around to loving it. The trick is to pair loosely fitted clothing with fitted ones to create a balance. For example, with this jacket, I usually wear a fitted long sleeved tee (since the jkt sleeves here are three-quarter so it peeks out) with my skinny jeans and it looks very cute! Something similar to this would be the empire-waist jacket I showed by J Crew in the Empire Waist Cardigan post.

Other bell-sleeved jackets in the stores to be considered with a more fitted shape. There is this short one from Development (left) and this long one that is more simple and subtle from Nanette Lepore (right).

Flicking through Marie Claire UK (April 07), plenty of bell-sleeved dresses also showed up. I am loving how the sleeves here gives this Gucci dress here a more playful and flirty touch.

This one by Tara Jarmon, with the light fluttering bell sleeves is fun yet sophisticated at the same time.
In the stores we have this dark eyelet one from Diane von Furstenburg (left) and this simple electric purple one (right) from French Connection, which I think is also perfect for the mod look this season.

Photo Credits: www.shopbop.com, www.nordstrom.com, www.elle.com

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm i remember when like hippie sleeves were in like.. waay back... this is a more refined version i guess?

Could you do a post on HK street style considering you're from HK? Or asia/japan street style in general... since you're from HK? I love their teen street style, but I'm not sure how to quite pull it off? And I'm not sure what is up with the style over there... it'll be interesting!

4/11/2007 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay, bell sleves are so pretty!

tara jarmon = perfection

4/11/2007 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the bell sleeves with a more fitted look. Otherwise, the look goes from delicate to hippy dippy. The Diane von Furstenburg eyelet dress is gorgeous.

4/11/2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger Berkley Magazine said...

Bell sleves are great, they give a woman that feminen edge she might lack. BTW I love Jessica Stam in the second picture. She is so beautiful.

4/11/2007 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE bell sleeves! especially the burberry coats, and the solid fabric. they give the hands such a dainty look :)

4/11/2007 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems like a fad that will be short-lived, so i would not spend a lot, eg a top rather than a coat

4/11/2007 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love it!

4/12/2007 3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Gucci dress is a stunner...I like bell sleeves on blouses and dresses but not jackets.

4/12/2007 4:52 AM  
Blogger Weekly Blogette said...

I really like Tara Jarmon's design. Bell-sleeves can be worn in a fashionable way...I guess it all depends on how they look on you and how the design itself looks.

4/12/2007 5:53 AM  
Blogger Asi Mod said...

Love your photos and commentaries on bell sleeves and round collars. I love them too. Totally chic and cute.

4/13/2007 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a knitted electric blue dress with bell sleeves from French Connection. I'm not sure about it anymore, but I do love the bell sleeves.
I think French Connection are great because they always seem to make great simple statement peices that are in keeping with the seasons trends but also have their own edge which is personal to the brand. One of the best high street stores around in England.

4/13/2007 8:18 PM  
Blogger Frapp said...

That Tara Jarmon dress is beautiful!

4/13/2007 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home