April 05, 2007

Karl Lagerfeld's SS07 Minimalistic Ads

You know, Karl Lagerfeld is seriously amazing. I mean, he is almost /past 70 years old (no one knows precisely what his year of birth is,) yet he seems more active and busy than any of us. How does he find the time to design all those collections for Chanel, Fendi and Karl Lagerfeld, and be a photographer at the same time? I know he's got design teams and all, but still. Anyways, so I really liked his ads this season -the images are so sharp and stunning.
First there's Chanel . The ads were quite minimalistic, (but not the most extreme type of minimalism). Some people even felt the ads were boring but I liked them more than Daria's previous ads. The casting director and Karl definitely picked the right model: Freja Beha Erichsen. She is so perfect for this ad -she's got the perfect legs to complement the super short clothes. And even though I'm not a fan of Chanel's bikini bottom-looking shorts, everything looks so perfectly put together and sophisticated. Loves it!
Then there's Fendi. Another quite but not extremely minimalistic ad (at least the model is standing on a mirrored surface and the background is the sea and sky). Some of the shots very much resemble the Chanel ones, but I think Raquel Zimmermann sends out a 'strong woman' sort of vibe. She really makes the clothes give a powerful feeling out. I didn't like her much but this ad has changed by mind.
And lastly, there's Karl's own line, Karl Lagerfeld. Oddly, it's the only campaign which isn't minimalistic, but I love him for shooting Gemma Ward. However, biased as I am as a Gemma fan, this campaign is my least favourite one out of the three. Not that these ads aren't good -because they are, especially this image (above), but there's just something I don't completely like about the ads. Maybe because I can't see the whole outfit? I don't know.
Anyhow, the Chanel ones are my favourite. What did you think of Karl's SS07 ads?

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I totally agree!!
The Chanel & Fendi are clean and simple...but the Karl one is so nice and romantic! And yes definately biased with Gemma (being an Aussie we don't have many people who make it big overseas so we're very patriotic about those who do!!)

4/05/2007 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I am not a huge Lagerfield fan ,i do like these ads and there is something really empowering about the way these models are standing.

Bravo!

4/05/2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger alea amin said...

Karl is truly a genius in the fashion industry. I love love the Chanel and Fendi ads. It portrays the clothes, everything perfectly. It's clean and chic. Very well done Karl.

4/05/2007 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Chanel ads remind me of the BEBE ads posted earlier this month.I love Freja Beha Erichsen,she makes the outfits look chic. I am IN LOVE with that Fendi bag!

4/05/2007 11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore both Fendi bags and these amazing ad campaigns. My fave is the salmon Fendi bag spread - the lines and elements are just so dynamic and powerful. It makes me want to go buy that bag right now.

4/05/2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger Mrs Fashion said...

I just can't get over the hair in the Fendi ads (the same for the past couple of seasons). That slicked back gel over the scalp and straight is hideous. Bleurgh.
Cute clothes though!
mrs F x

4/06/2007 1:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The model poses and the body look absolutely stunning. So tall and so skinny.

4/06/2007 3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

although I think the ads are beautiful, freja's legs in the chanel ad look too skinny. It ruined the pictures for me.

4/06/2007 5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh really, I like the last picture the most. It's a great piece of work, just look at the lines and structures how they are composed and how the elements of that picture look like they were put together to make a collage! the second best is the first picture. clean and sleek.

4/06/2007 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those girls' legs stretch to Malaysia! these are truly immaculate, understated ads that boldly represent the glamour of high fashion.

4/06/2007 7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the chanel ads, they are so pretty and simple!

i also have a request to make, im going to be backpacking through Europe this summer. Is there any way I can look chic in Europe's hottest cities without breaking my back (or the bank)?? All input is greatly appriciated!

love your blog, check it everyday for updates!

4/06/2007 8:18 AM  
Blogger Othalia said...

I love th ads, very clean and crisp...no noise around, very simple...

4/06/2007 9:52 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

the karl lagerfeld ads remind me too much of abercrombie ads, with the black and white and the pose. too commercial and mainstream for his position i think. my fave is definately the first fendi one, the actual art theory is incredibly bang on. ♥carolyn

4/06/2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

froydis, i have a little advice on your europe trip (sounds awesome!), not so much on particular outfits, but just things to keep in mind when going to europe. they tend to be quite a bit more modest there, so even in the summer it'd be best to stick with longer shorts and skits, and tops that cover your shoulders (or layers). you don't want to feel over-exposed, and most importantly, you often aren't able to go into many beautiful historic sites unless you're dressed properly. i couldn't go into st. marc's cathedral in venice because i was wearing shorts, and it still haunts me! just something to keep in mind :)

4/06/2007 12:32 PM  
Blogger Frapp said...

I loved the Fendi ads, their minimalist without being boring. I also like the Chanel ads, their very fresh and modern.

4/06/2007 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, another super Aussie model is Elle Macpherson. And I guess I'm REALLY biased with her because that's who my mum named me after. Lol. Luv the ads, but my absolute favourite campaign would be Chloe.

4/06/2007 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karl Lagerfeld is a bunch of crap.

4/07/2007 7:26 AM  
Blogger Fashion Girl said...

Love the chanel ads :) ahhhh...

So classy!

4/08/2007 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie - thank you so much! i have such a hard time limiting what i pack, so it always helps to get input! =)

4/13/2007 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gemma just cant do sexy... shes just not sexy

5/13/2007 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home