August 15, 2007

A Big, Roomy Messenger Bag

My favourite trend from SS07 (which I assume will carry onto FW07) is big messenger bags that double as handbags. They are SO useful and cool.
I'm on summer holiday at the moment so I've been able to use my non-school-bags. I haven't bought a bag since last summer so I've hit a bag dry spell. Luckily, my mum bought a few bags for herself and I managed to 'borrow' her Marni balloon bag. I'm really loving it right now. It's SO roomy so it fits pretty much everything in it -when I went to the hair salon, I stuffed a magazine and book in; after I bought skincare products, they fit into the bag too. It's just so convenient to be able to just grab a bag and run out of the house. Plus I love the dark purple -it's the perfect shade of purple to make the bag look pretty, but just dark enough to make it look almost black thus making it versatile. Plus, huge messenger bags seem to go with volumous clothes. Right, I should stop gushing. Here are some others that I found online:
Kooba's Charlie bag from SS07 is so pretty and simple that I can't get why shopbop still has stock (-on sale!) The style reminds my a bit of a less feminine version of Miu Miu bags. And the metal hoops add some detail to the otherwise boring design.
Urban Outfitters has this canvas convertible bag online. It looks kind of like Balenciaga's motorcycle bag. Think what a great school bag this would make!
I usually don't like Marc by Marc Jacobs' handbags, but it surprisingly has a collection of pretty bags this season. Now this Dr. Q tote would make a fantastic travelling bag because it's huge and soft (so you can stuff the bag into hand luggage comparments.)
I absolutely adored this Miu Miu bag when it first hit stores last FW. Who knew it would still be around, albeit in different leather and colours? It's super girly yet it's still practical. Why oh why didn't I buy one last FW?
Because I love this bag so much, here it is in another colour. I can't decide whether a mono-coloured leather version (the one before) is better or this one. There is a contrast between the brown leather and tan kanvas that makes this bag seem more casual and easy-to-use. OK, I'm going to stop obsessing over this bag now -but don't you just love it?
Lastly, I just can't resist tagging on a picture of Ashley Olsen with one of last season's hot bags, Givenchy's Nightingale. I'm not in love with this bag myself but see what I mean about messenger bags? The bag looks so practical and pretty, and you can just throw things in quickly!

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! It's so funny because I've been mulling over whether to get the Marni balloon bag or the bow bag by Miu Miu! I leaning towards the latter since patent seems to trendy. There really hasn't been a full fledge "it" bag lately, huh?

8/15/2007 4:44 AM  
Blogger la petite fashionista said...

i'm not used to seeing messenger bags in leather but they look so cute & classy. Much cuter than designs in canvas or fabric material.

8/15/2007 7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've recently started carrying around a bag like this, except it is nylon and leather because its just more convenient for university and I can chuck it about and not worry about the leather. It is seriously amazing, I can carry four or five books, folders plus all my little moleskines around and still have space to spare. Only complaint is that it is really hard to find little stuff in it- like pencils or my phone or keys.

8/15/2007 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a long time lurker of your blog and I absolutely love it. Fantastic post about oversized Messenger bags

I just bought an over sized messenger bag like the one Ashley Olsen have of course its not Givenchy's. Its fantastic made with soft leather. I am a Personal Assistant and to have an oversized bag like that works wonders. I have everything in there.

I have a little bag organizer that I made myself to organize small things like my keys mobile phone and pens so that all those things are in one place and not flop around in the bag.

8/15/2007 12:47 PM  
Blogger Fashion Fleur said...

love the bags!

8/15/2007 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fabulous post!

im always on the lookout for cute, large functional practical but fashionable bags for university.. need a big bag for all the books and my laptop etc.

im obsessed! i want the miu miu. and the marni. i want them all :)

8/15/2007 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im loving the oversized messenger bags, they look so good especially the Marc Jacobs one! But i havn't seen any nice leather ones in the UK high street shops. Can anyone recommend any??

8/15/2007 9:52 PM  
Blogger Bojana said...

uuuh I love them all.

8/16/2007 4:38 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

YES that was the miu miu bag i was talking about in the 'most expensive bag'-post. though the grey one is pretty too :)

I don't want a bag that is too big, because knowing me i wouldn't be able to lift it anymore. i think the size of Kooba's charlie bag is about as big as i would go.

8/16/2007 4:39 PM  
Blogger Fashion Tidbits said...

I love the Dr.Q tote, how much is it?

8/17/2007 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

big bags hurt me back... its terrible!!! :(

cuddly.. but, damnit... so bad.

8/17/2007 10:45 AM  
Blogger Nicole Then said...

Sigh, i'm trying to find the perfect Go-To-School bag that's affordable and stylish. Great post, gave me some ideas. I have so many summer-bags too that aren't big enough for school. haha

8/18/2007 5:06 PM  
Blogger B said...

sigh.... im in love with pretty much all of these bags,

also you said somehting about shopbop, which id never actually heard of before, so thank you for introducing me to yet another online shop :)

xxxx

8/19/2007 5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that Marc Jacobs bag & Ashley's bag. They would be perfect for long flights as well as a bag for everyday :)

8/21/2007 4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVE the miu miu messenger bag! the bow/knot at the sides are adorable

8/21/2007 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore the Lacoste messenger bag I have. It's prefect for a high school student like me. I can just toss in anything and I'd find it where I flung them last.

8/26/2007 12:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

FAB PIcs
Look like you hadan amazing time!!!

http://www.gotapparel.com/c-45-carrier-bagsmessenger-bags.aspx

7/08/2009 3:37 PM  
Blogger alex said...

Amazing Bags.Thanks for sharing... keep it up and we will be waiting for your next post.






Austin Divorce Lawyer

Gun Accessory Holsters Cases
Prince of Wales – Alaska Fishing Lodge
House Cleaning Portsmouth, NH

1/30/2011 3:39 AM  
Blogger RHurst said...

Those are some great purses! I wonder if I can find something like this locally. I also like the clothes the models are wearing, I would love to find some union made t shirts that look similar to those.

12/16/2011 11:36 PM  
Blogger Xam Results said...

UP Board 12th Result
UP Board 10th Result
UP Board 10th Result
UP Board 12th Result

4/28/2017 11:23 AM  
Blogger Best Smartwatches 2019 said...

You are here to get one best smartwatchhttp://smartwatches2019.com/

11/09/2018 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home