May 05, 2005

The Costume Institute show: Coco Chanel

We have already raved and gushed about the stars and their amazingly beautiful outfits, attending the opening of Costume Institute's latest exhibit: Chanel . But I am sure many of you wondered, what exactly, is this exhibit that all these stars are getting so dressed up for. Unfortunately I do not live in NY and don't have the luxury of attending to find out myself and report back first hand. But I have done some research, and here is what I've gleamed:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This exhibit is devoted to the 20th century's most iconic fashion designer: Gabrielle Chanel, or as most of us know her by,Coco Chanel. Not only did she make "black" the black it is today, but she also created the wardrobe staple that none of us can live without- the little black dress!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The exhibit also displayed many other of Coco Chanel's signature originals such as these Chanel tweed suits and various gowns and jewelry.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Apart from originals from Coco Chanel, the exhibit also featured some of Karl Lagerfeld's work for Chanel, which I think serves to show just how timeless and classical the original Chanel is, and for those observant enough to differentiate between Coco's Chanel and Karl's Chanel. Like this display above, shows lacy black dresses made by both Coco and Karl.

I read that there were also backlit quotes of wisdom from Karl and Coco, such as "Always remove, never add" by Chanel. But alas I couldn't find pictures to see what thats like, although it sounds very cool. Overall, because Madamoiselle Chanel was such a modern and fashion-forward lady, the exhibit may be a little disappointing for museum go-ers expecting to see some historical fashion pieces, as all the fashion on display are still so completely wearable now as it was back in the 1920's. Anyways, the point is, the exhibit runs from May 5th to August 7th at the Met, so if you happen to be in New York at that time GO and SEE!! And please, bring us back some pictures and brochures!

10 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

Nice pictures! Karl Lagerfeld has replicated some of Chanel's signature looks for his Fall collection. There is a dress from their Fall collection which has a similar design as the coat in the 2nd picture.

I wish I could be there too.

5/05/2005 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love love love Chanel!

5/05/2005 9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Chanel too, I unfortunately do not live in NY nor in the US, but I hope to learn some more about this show from fashion magazines!

5/05/2005 10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What could be more beautiful than the black dress shown in your first photo. It is just about perfect and can be worn now, sixty years ago, or, probably, sixty years from now.

5/08/2005 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from New York, and saw the show as soon as I could. Unfortunately, most of the show is Karl Lagerfeld's work...not enough originals for my taste. His stuff is brilliant, of course, but if I wanted to see modern Chanel, I could go shopping. I expected a little more Coco. But what can you expect when the show is sponsored?

6/08/2005 12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Chanel is awesome. especially the purfume :)!!!!!!!!!!

12/07/2007 6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

caroline wuz here

12/07/2007 6:07 AM  
Blogger Oksana said...

Thank you very much for this article, I've added a quote from it to my article with Coco Chanel biography, I've added a link to your blog there. I hope you don't mind.

5/30/2008 12:35 AM  
Blogger susan booth said...

i love the chanel no 5 - i get it fairly reasonably from perfume point, its my favourite and i also love the fashion and their styles, there always a step ahead arent they?

10/17/2008 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Garey said...

So, I do not actually believe it is likely to work.
Bracebridge homes

12/07/2011 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home